New battery tech?

y plug it into.

aturday too in the last 14 months h';es only been able to park outside my h ome ONCE and even then it's in the street I;n need to find a way of getting the charging cable to the car he usually has to park on the other soide of the road the last two weekend he had difficulty finding a space in the sam e road.

were can buy a 2 mile extention lead ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 11:21:02 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

Who knows what may happen, a train at present is a collection of vehicles physically joined together , could in the future a collection of vehicles such as driverless cars virtually joined together be classed as a train with vehicles dropping in and out as required. So a "train " of vehicles leave the outskirts of London and head North, those who want to go to a place en route such as Birmingham break away and go there. Those who want to go to Glasgow carry on with no stops, range and bladders allowing. Raise the speed limit a bit to 80 and missing all those 5 min stops at stations en route a normal and the journey times will become fairly competitive with the traditional train as we know it where all on board make no progress for a few minutes while others get on and off. And that is before you include time getting to and from the Railway station anyway, where you are in London that is just a few stops on a tube but for large number of people they have to use another means of transport to reach a railhead in the first place , and that is another cost on top of the actual railway fare whether that is paying to park a car or Taxi/Mini cab fare Interchanging between that and Railway train is usually about 20 mins unless you want to risk being delayed on the way and missing a train departure so that needs to be set against your total door to door time as well so makes doing the whole journey by driverless car even more favourable.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Coal probably not - 36-38% when running baseload with modern supercritical plant. Gas CCGT up to 60% is possible. Real goodness of leccy is it doesn't idle, and regenerative braking gets a lot back.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Imagine one of these going up the M1!

Chris Hogg

Most that don't have their heads in clouds.

unlikely

Like a train or coach.

how will seperate section or these cars join each other at say 80+ MPH.

Then not very useful just get the non stop train.

at

How are you going to diconnect one car from another while one slows down and the other speeds uop.

Thre's just no point in joining such cars together, what hapopens when one goes faulty, what happens when there's 2 people in the same 'car' and both work at differnt places ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

Iuse my solar panels in Summer and sunny days in Winter. Otherwise by night on economy seven.

Reply to
harry

It's only 2.2 Kw. Plugs into 13a socket.

Reply to
harry

And you can walk from one end to the other with it in motion. To get to say the bog or buffet car.

Ever been on a train where it drops off a few carriages? ;-)

And all without breaking pace. ;-)

But an HS train doesn't stop every 5 minutes.

So what does that driverless car do after your journey? Hang around for the return one - or go back to base empty?

Sadly, many of the disadvantages of taxis apply with or without a driver.

Other thing is those who can't currently drive for whatever reason might just buy a driverless car. Increasing the numbers on the road.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

plug it into.

urday too in the last 14 months h';es only been able to park outside my hom e ONCE and even then it's in the street I;n need to find a way of getting t he charging cable to the car he usually has to park on the other soide of t he road the last two weekend he had difficulty finding a space in the same road.

majority, and that's when they have houses what about the new builds of fla ts and as they convert 4 bed houses into 3 or more flats there just isn't t he space.

Who'd want to live in that rat hole? I have two garages and parking for about seven or eight cars on the drive a nd patio. Plus work shed and large wood store shed.

Reply to
harry

I;d still need to run a cable from the front door across the pavement to the car. I don;t think you're allowed to obstruct the pavement with an extention cable all might might be ok for hooving or jump starting the car but doing that all night. So unless there's a charging socket in the road from my flat to the car means going across the pavement. Who would pay for the charging point to be installed either on the edge of the pavement or the road.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Well my car has a 16Kwh battery. The standard charging lead is 2.2Kw

However, no-one runs their battery to depletion.

Mine is usually on for 2-4 hours.

Reply to
harry

For a while some trains to Cornwall from London had "slip coaches". The back one or two would be decoupled while still running, with a spare guard left with them to brake the coach to a stop at the station.

I think they could do this at a couple of stations.

(googling tells me other lines had them too)

Reply to
Clive George

Driverless cars will never catch on. People like to drive, especially young ones. Cars are status symbols too. Who wants to turn up in a glorified dodgem car? You think the Queen is gonna turn up in a driverless pool car/taxi? No, she's gonna have a Roller. With a chauffeur.

Reply to
harry

lots of people with cars don;t haqve a choice. Just shows you how far out of touch you are with reality.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Yeah takes bloody ages, and it doesnlt happen while traveling along aty 80 MPH either, the train has to stop usualy at a station. Last time I was goi ng from London to worthing.

No stops means it doesn't get much chance to pick up passengers.

Makes one wonder why every train isn't high speed.

Anyway in a 'few' years time we'll have google drones that can turn from a car to a flying drone.

I've wondered about that but in theory it could return to the closest car pool a bit like how the boris/barclay/sandader bikes work now.

Yes it'll ad to teh total number of cars but maybe those without cars wont want to spend the amoint requred to buy a driverless car but rent them in t he same way I don't need a car I can just phone for a cab. I don't think I' ve really needed a car so far this year.

Reply to
whisky-dave

No I'm too young. My Mother remembers going on though and no doubt others of her age group still do. Getting in the the wrong section could upset your travel plans .

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

People vary, I'm fortunate in that I can still go for about 12 hours if needs be between needing a pee. Not many Buffet Cars left and even where they exist then fighting along a crowded train and hoping nobody is going to pinch your seat isn't like it was in the days when trains were unpopular but meant space for those who did travel. If I'm in a driver less car then eating on the move from a picnic basket isn't going to be problem. A caravannete style vehicle could even have a bog. If a pee stop or a brief walk to stretch legs is required then drop off out of the "driverless car train" as suits you and others in the car. That could be more than offered by a railway train or less and 4 to 6 people will offered more flexibility than the thousand or so on an intercity train.

Even four stops between London and Glasgow is 20 mins stationary ,meanwhile the car will have done over 20 miles though I accept not every one is like me and most will stop for a on a journey that long, when we did it regularly my mates used to jest that if I could refuel without stopping like an aircraft I would have done so.

I was more thinking of a personally owned one and I would use it to travel around the area had gone to in the following days and then returning without the requirements to stick to a pre booked seat allocation on a train or pay a high price for a walk on fare.

At the end of the day like the railway train they are public transport but posher than buses.

I don't think we can really predict what may happen, I live in a different situation to you in London with its well established public transport, here any one no longer capable of driving either has to move or depend on friends, relatives or socially subsidised taxis to get to the doctors etc. At least much shopping can now be delivered again compared with 10 years ago.

Older people tend to know a circle of similar friends and I can could easily see a group owning a driverless car amongst themselves so that would reduce the little convoy of Aygos, Micras etc that travel from the village each day to the towns nearby and as a bonus those no longer capable of driving won't have empty Taxis coming out to fetch them and returning back empty afterwards.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

There are only 90,000 electric cars at the moment. You can't expect a charging point outside every house.

Reply to
GB

round 'ere it's nearer 15p

tim

Reply to
tim...

but that will have to be commercially run - and charged for

the associated costs kindof make the attraction of an electric car somewhat financially unattractive again

tim

Reply to
tim...