Sometimes old tools are useful

    Having got around after 2 years, to restacking the hifi, I needed a wheeled platfom to stand it on. I went into my stock of castors and found some nice 8mm threaded castors which seemed ideal. After buying some 8mm threaded mounting plates from Toolstation, I attempted to mount these and discovered that my 8mm castors were in fact 5/16 whitorth. Fortunately in my tool collection I had some Whitworth taps and dies, so i was able to retap the 8mm mounts to 5/16 Whitworth. Some where over the years i have lost my thread gauge plate which would have been useful.
Yes the case of an old steel rule was just the right size to stop a cabinet wobbling in my old garage. Brian
--
----- -
On 14/03/2017 10:02, Capitol wrote:

I regularly use some tools that retirees gave my dad, having used them for donkeys' years, when he started his apprenticeship in 1936.
Bill
On Tuesday, 14 March 2017 10:02:56 UTC, Capitol wrote:

I still use whitworth stuff. Here's why http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Size_conversion
NT
tabbypurr wrote:

I think the only thing I've needed a 1/4W spanner for is to remove the jaws from my ancient vice, luckily my neighbour has a set.

I needed a 7/64 allen key the other day but all mine are metric (2.5mm too small, 3mm too large) turns out a T15 torx bit is a pretty good fit.

That's one benefit of being old. I started out with the then current tools which included Imperial and AF, etc, so still have them. And added Metric when it came along. Having the larger size BSW/BSF spanners, and AF, and Metric means I've always got one which is a perfect fit to those plumbing fittings. ;-)
--
*Everybody lies, but it doesn't matter since nobody listens*

On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 9:02:56 PM UTC+11, Capitol wrote:

I believe above above 6 mm the metric and Whitworth threads are identical in pitch. So the 5/16 whitorth would have been ok as it is.

There are some sizes of metric, whitworth and AC or UNC where the wrong nut may well fit a bolt, etc. So ok for a non critical application.
Same with some spanner sizes.
--
*Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

    Unfortunately not in this case, Almost fitted but I had to retap to get the castors in.