Best domestic fly killer please?

The flies are around already, which does not bode well for the rest of the year. Can someone please recommend an effective killer that does not mark furniture of windows?

Reply to
Broadback

Commercial UV electrocution insect zapper trap.

But be sure to empty it from time time or you can get serious problems:

Martin Brown

Why did I read that as kite filler?

Um.......

Reply to
tim...

A quickly incinerating laser beam focused on a edge of a DLP micro-mirror that can quickly swing it into the target as seen by 3D cameras, with zones such as windows and furniture mapped out of the 'kill area'

Then a remote controlled flying drone with a small vacuum cleaner despatched to hoover up the remains.

All controlled and completely automatic from a Raspberry Pi.

Patent probably pending from somewhere...

I've got one of those high voltage 'tennis racket' fly squatter things from Poundland. I've had a couple of flies get a visible spark, which works apart from a couple that managed to recover and take flight again.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Too many couples, remove the first...

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Or just a can of RAID, provided you don't mind the smell of chrysanthemums.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Food quality UV traps use a sticky transparent film instead of a zapper. The film is on a roll that advances every few hours and gets changed about once a month. That avoids any falling fly parts, which could contaminate food.

Reply to
Nightjar

Is *that* what it smells of?

I suppose it's not too healthy to spray huge clouds of it about as an air freshener.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I thought it was pyrethrum, which is sort of flowery but not really chrysanthemums.

Reply to
Chris Green

Impossible not to follow that with "No, it is for my armpits". ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Bring back Flit.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

It is pyrethrin, which is either extracted from crushed chrysanthemums (Kenya grows thousands of tonnes per year) or industrially synthesised.

Personally I find it a bit sickly sweet, so only really annoying flies get blasted with it.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Makes sense, but falling is an understatement. A blue bottle zapped by even the small domestic UV zappers explodes itself over quite a distance...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

And use it according to the instructions. Close windows and doors, a second or two spray into the air near the middle of the room, leave room reclosing that door and wait ten minutes.

You don't need to zap the flies directly, oh fish aren't overly keen on the stuff either, so remove or cover their tank.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Sticky fly papers.

Reply to
harry

Hmm, I'm not sure about that one. There are certainly bees around this year, out in force yesterday around here.

I guess fly paper seems to still work. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Why did they install it in the loft?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I've seen plenty electric ones in food places.

And part of a dead fly won't kill you, or cyclists would be dying off all the time when they breathed one in.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Too much to drink? Why would you fill a kite? A kite is a flat device.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Just ignore the overly cautious warnings on the can.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword