Is it time to replace the water heater?

About 1 out of every 4 or 5 showers is lukewarm at best. When I get hot showers they are fine (temp + time). I have tried to pay attention to weather temperatures to determine if it might be a factor. But, a warmer day does not always mean a hot shower. I also seem to remember the hot water being hotter in the past. Is it possible that my water heater is dying a slow death?

Steve

Reply to
stevem2112

Buildup in the bottom of the tank is keeping the thermostat from accurately reading the temperature of the water and heating it back up when it cools off.

Had the same problem with mine. It was gas so there was no cleaning it out. It was also 30 years old and on borrowed time. I replaced it. Nice hot showers first time every time.

Reply to
mkirsch1

Could be that, could be a heating element is out, could be a thermostat is bad, could be your kids are taking too many showers before you do. With so little info, who knows?

Reply to
trader4

Is the cold water in pipe warm? If so your dip tube may need replacing.

Reply to
Jesse

Gas or electricity? E.g. gas burner jets may require periodical cleaning, heating electrodes (usually two) of elec. heaters can be replaced when they wear out (are masked by mineral deposits.)

Reply to
Don Phillipson

Oh gee, a queston, why not turn up the temperature and see what happens. Answer, it will get hotter, you should be happier.

Reply to
ransley

Oh gee, a queston, why not turn up the temperature and see what happens. Answer, it will get hotter, you should be happier.

wow, that's a dumb answer.

Reply to
Joe

Are dip tubes normally replaceable? Mine is shot and a plumber told me I had to replace the whole heater to solve the problem. I sure would like to just replace one part.

EJ > >

Reply to
Ernie Willson

Theoretically, yes. In practice... how lucky do you feel?

Personally I wouldn't attempt the job before determining that my checking account and/or credit card could cover the speedy installation of a new water heater if things went bad.

nate

(been lucky > Are dip tubes normally replaceable? Mine is shot and a plumber told me I

Reply to
Nate Nagel

On 2/12/2009 1:19 PM Joe spake thus:

What do you expect from "ransley"? He's an idiot.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

They are replaceable, available at a hardware store for about $5.

Reply to
Bob M.

Oh my. It appears your plumber told you just a slight little white lie. Shame on him. Dip tubes are EASILY replaceable. While doing it, you may wish to replace the anode rod too. And by all means, if you have one of those stupid plastic drain valves in the bottom of the tank, rip it out and put in a new brass drain valve while you are at it. All this can be done without soldering now with the available compression fittings and flexible hoses. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Huh? The water's not hot enough. There's a thermostat available.

What's the most sensible first step?

Reply to
HeyBub

Its the smartest or most logical answer there is, if you Think about it, and you didnt. You didnt THINK. Weather temps have nothing to do with it unless his home is unheated. Water temps of inground pipes take months to respond. .

Reply to
ransley

Its the smartest or most logical answer there is, if you Think about it, and you didnt. You didnt THINK. Weather temps have nothing to do with it unless his home is unheated. Water temps of inground pipes take months to respond. .

as david pointed out, the op said, and I quote, "I also seem to remember the hot water being hotter in the past".

don't bother responding.

Reply to
Joe

On 2/12/2009 4:08 PM HeyBub spake thus:

OP says: "I also seem to remember the hot water being hotter in the past." Didja miss that?

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Was it tried, I bet not.[ Simple question, Simple conclusion, will be cheapest.] [ a new quote by me]

Reply to
ransley

Not at all, its old. Try it first and see.

Reply to
ransley

More info would get you a better answer

gas or electric? location? SoCal? Minnesota? age of water heater? hard water? preventative maint or complete neglect?

Reply to
BobK207

Really easy task. You need another plumber, if that's the advice he gave you. I got mine for around $12-15 from a plumbing specialty store. I have never seen them at the big box hardware stores.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake