If it's too good to be true...

Can someone tell me what the catch is?

Item number: 7601323549 )

vs.

brianlanning

Shipping is another $253 to the west coast. That makes it about $450 which seems fair for a table-top edge sander.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

( Item number: 7601323549 )

from the new item from Grizzly.

It'd be a good deal if you could pick it up. Isn't the rule of thumb half the "new" price if it looks in very good condition? In which case $275 is good... but shipping kills it.

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

Not sure what you mean, but, well, it's from Homier; what more is there to say? I only buy from them when they come to town and I can actually lay eyes on what they're selling. Sometimes it's a good deal, sometimes it isn't. It depends on YOU knowing what your'e buying.

HTH

Pop

( Item number: 7601323549 )

Reply to
Pop

I'm the next state over, so it's a significant difference. I had been planning on getting one of the larger sanders from grizzly though. So I'll probably pass on it.

brian

Reply to
brianlanning

Sounds like another harbor freight. Thanks for the info.

brian

Reply to
brianlanning

Sounds like another harbor freight. Thanks for the info.

No, worse then HF

Reply to
Rick Samuel

Well, I'm located about 15 miles from the seller, and I'm not going to go look at it! Caveat emptor!

TT

> ( Item number: 7601323549 )

Reply to
TT

( Item number: 7601323549 )

Looking at them from about 6,000 miles away, it appears to me that they were built on the same assembly line ... minutes apart.

While it's possible that the Griz was spec'd a little better, that's uncertain. It might just be that it's priced higher.

My thinking? (by no means universal or authoritative) If you are going to be beating on the machine, go with the company you feel the most confidence in their customer service department for. If you are only going to be giving the machine incidental to moderate use and can accept sluggish customer service on, go strictly on price.

It is even possible that a test call to the respective service departments will settle the matter once and for all time. Tell them you don't have the manual to reference (true) and want to check the price and availability of the bearings for the idler roller (opposite end from the driven roller). Also true. A good service department should, in my opinion, be able to tell you whether the bearing is available separately or not and the price to replace it in any case. Moreover, the part should be in stock and able to ship in one business day.

I am somewhat concerned that Homiers are selling both the machinery to do millwork and finished case goods. It's as if they haven't made a committment to support either side of the business. If they have a decent service department, though, that's an empty concern.

Bill

Reply to
W Canaday