Too Good To Be True?

I am in the market for both a rewire and installation of gas CH. While looking for someone to actually come out and give me a quote, which is proving a bit of an uphill struggle, as they all seem to be busy,i came across the following advert in a local free newspaper. Can someone with a knowledge of these 2 things give me some indication as to whether this seems either a good price, or a "too good" a price to be a decent quality job done. My 1st impressions were of the former, i must admit, but would like a 2nd, more informed opinion Mine would come under the 4 bed range of prices, but is a bigger house than the norm is now, as its an Edwardian house, with bigger rooms and hallways etc ______________________________________________

Fixed price central heating and electrical installations

Supply and fit complete new gas combi boiler and radiators

2 bed £1,225:00 3 bed £2,200:00 4 bed £2,400:00 Supply and fit complete new electrical system. Price includes hardwired electric smoke detectors 2 bed £1,795:00 3 bed £1,995:00 4 bed £2,200:00

All works carried out by CORGI and NICEIC engineers ______________________________________________

Regards Tom Lowry

Reply to
Tom & Linda

Sounds "too good" for the CH. Maybe they're relying on using much of the existing pipework.

I didn't think combis were big enough for 4 beds?

You could ask to visit 2 or 3 jobs they've already done.

Reply to
Martin

proving a bit of an uphill struggle, as they all

whether this seems either a good price, or a "too

more informed opinion

the norm is now, as its an Edwardian house, with

electric smoke detectors

existing pipework.

Really? I thought that the S&F of the electrics was the more "shonky" of the 2 But i DO think you may well be right in saying that they may be relying on using much of the old pipework. In 2 minds whether to call them tbh

Tom

Reply to
Tom & Linda

Certain things will be fixed in price with extras on top.

On the electrical side you will probably find that you get a set number of sockets per room and things like electric showers, immersion heaters, conservatories and outhouses are not included in the price etc. You will get white plastic pendants for lights and will be given a final price for the extras such as an extra socket or a shower etc. I am often asked on the phone by customers for a ballpark price for a rewire and the truth is there is no such thing. Check who makes good the plaster if you do call them. I always give a price with or without supplying a plasterer to make good the walls.

On the CH side you may not get a say in where the radiators go and will have to pay extra for them placing where you want them. You also need to know what sort of boiler you will get and a say in its location.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

is proving a bit of an uphill struggle, as they all

to whether this seems either a good price, or a "too

more informed opinion

the norm is now, as its an Edwardian house, with

electric smoke detectors

existing pipework.

sockets per room and things like electric showers,

etc. You will get white plastic pendants for lights

shower etc. I am often asked on the phone by customers

Check who makes good the plaster if you do call them. I

to pay extra for them placing where you want them.

Thanks for this reply, Adam It gives me some questions to fire at them when i call One final thing though......would it matter (to me) where the boiler went as "standard"? And why?

Tom

Reply to
Tom & Linda

There are various locations available. Loft, old airing cuboard, wall in the kitchen, old chimney breast etc. Usually a boiler not mounted on an external wall means more work for the plumber.

Let me know the final score on the electrical quote as well please.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

is proving a bit of an uphill struggle, as they all

to whether this seems either a good price, or a "too

more informed opinion

than the norm is now, as its an Edwardian house, with

electric smoke detectors

existing pipework.

sockets per room and things like electric showers,

etc. You will get white plastic pendants for lights

shower etc. I am often asked on the phone by customers

Check who makes good the plaster if you do call them. I

to pay extra for them placing where you want them.

Well, it uses space so you may not want it in your kitchen if it is already on the small side. However, by the time that the pipework is taken into account, there may be little choice. eg My walls are solid stone and over 1m thick on the ground floor - so putting the thing in the kitchen would have cost a fortune.

-- Sue

Reply to
Palindrome

is proving a bit of an uphill struggle, as they all

to whether this seems either a good price, or a

2nd, more informed opinion

than the norm is now, as its an Edwardian house, with

electric smoke detectors

existing pipework.

sockets per room and things like electric showers,

price etc. You will get white plastic pendants for

socket or a shower etc. I am often asked on the phone by

such thing. Check who makes good the plaster if you do

make good the walls.

to pay extra for them placing where you want them.

"standard"?

Well, i have a multi point, gas fired water heater in the utility room (no header tank, or hot water cylinder). So i assume the CH boiler can go in its place. I will keep you informed of any "final" quotes i get over the phone tomorrow

Tom

Reply to
Tom & Linda