Neff Oven Enamel Corrosion

Hi Folks,

I have a Neff N50 Built-in double oven U2ACM7HN0B and for the most part I'm pretty happy with it however I have had to consistently get Neff out to look at because of the corrosion at the small lip in front of the door of the main oven. In fairness Neff have been really good about it and promptly replaced it twice however a pattern seems to be emerging of the corrosion happening at exactly the same place after around a year of use. The oven cavity is pyrolytically cleaned regularly and spillages are cleaned up after use using just a damp non-abrasive cloth so no prohibited chemicals or abrasives have been used. Besides the area affected isn't one where spillages typically happen anyway although it is an area that the pyrolytic clean doesn't have any impact.

As it is the same place that has been affected I'm beginning to suspect that this is an inherent problem with the oven but don't really want to get into an annual cycle of calling Neff out to look at it.

Has anyone else seen a similar issue and if so what was the outcome with Neff?

Cheers!!

Reply to
Endulini

I would suggest it is not Enamel as I understand it.

Reply to
inri

Enamel is damaged by either acids or alkalis (depending how it was formulated). Kitchen enamels are usually designed to be resistant to acids and therefore dissolved by alkalis. Oven cleaners and dishwasher detergents are alkalis - does it come in to contact with any of these?

Bath enamels on the other hand are resistant to alkalis so they're not damaged by soap, but this means they are damaged by acids.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

If it has any sharp bends in it or friction applied to it it can craze, and if its something that can rust or oxidise, it will. I got rid of a perfectly serviceable Philips Microwave that had a drop down door due to similar problems just inside the front bottom edge of the cooking cavity. Strangely nowhere else flaked or rusted, as it was mostly stainless or an alloy. This piece needed to be strong as the hinges were mounted on it.

I guess the first question is, what the cause actually is. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Talking of Baths, yes my bath has lost its shine and I had thought it was our hard water. Its quite old now and is metal, but its annoying as non slip mats no longer grip and I imagine its only a matter of time till the white will wear away. Problem is with today's cleaning products, they change the formulation and do not actually make it plain and so what was safe one week might not be in another bottle. You cannot win. If only baths were plug and go. I mean you can bet that any new bath will be a different dimension to the old one meaning tiling changes and lots of filler etc and different pipe work.. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Ok, mea culpa, I used the same terminology as the 'engineers' who came to inspect it but am happy to accept it's probably not enamel in the commonly understood meaning.

It is the coating on the inside cavity of the oven, whatever it actually is :)

Reply to
Endulini

No, it's just had a wipe out with a damp non-abrasive cloth, the instructions say not to use oven-cleaner on the coating so I haven't.

Reply to
Endulini