Multi meter ?

On 07/03/2015 16:01, ss wrote:

If that is *really* all you need, I would consider a "volt stick". These have the great advantage of sensing through insulation, and not giving you a "false positive" from inductive coupling (which you can get from a neon).
The same caveat applies as to a neon screwdriver: before assuming something is dead, make sure your device indicates "live" from a known live source. Do this every time you use it.
newshound explained on 07/03/2015 :

I would second that, a wonderful piece of kit if you learn how to use it, understand its limitations and especially the safety implications if it fails to pick up the fact that a live, is actually live.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

A lot of these digital multimeters give spurious readings. An analogue one is better for use on mains electricity. And probably cheaper.
Don't leave the battery in it when it's out of use for more than a couple of days.
On 07/03/2015 16:41, harryagain wrote:

Highly unlikely to be cheaper these days.

Days?
Where are you buying your batteries from...?
--
Cheers,

John.

Quite.
There is an off setting on the DMMs here
--
Chris French

Not in the situation he is going to use it.

Not for his sort of use.

Even sillier than you usually manage.

Even sillier than you usually manage.
harryagain wrote on 07/03/2015 :

Well, only if you don't know how to use one and their limitations.

Not really...
If you need to monitor a rapidly changing voltage, or peak or null a voltage - yes analogue. For most other purposes digital works very well indeed.

Never in a million years. I own a couple of AVO 8's, which was the peak of an analogue multimeter design. When last on sale a few years ago the price tag was around £700.
Analogue certainly its uses, but I mostly reach for digital these days

I leave the batteries in all of my equipment. (Quality) Batteries are much more leak resistant and the equipment terminals are usually proof against acid attack from leaks.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
On Saturday, March 7, 2015 at 9:25:33 PM UTC, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

yes... in the 1930s. Much better has come along since. The prices of those are just madness.
NT
snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote :

They sold well at least through to around 1985 and neither AVO 7 or 8 were not available in 1930 think.
I was brought up on 7's and 8's, so I keep them for old times sake, but they also have their uses. Last time I used it, I had a rather weird varying discharge on the car. The AVO 8 made it easy to track down, whereas the Fluke digital was entirely useless.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Care to be more specific?
--
*If tennis elbow is painful, imagine suffering with tennis balls *

Dave Plowman (News) expressed precisely :

Not sure what you want which is more specific, if you mean the weird fault...
It was the voltage sensing relay used for towing. I had set it to drop out and it was dropping out, or there was no output from it without the engine running, but yet the electronics were oscillating.
My cars battery if the car was left for a couple weeks unused, would be flat. A digital meter made no sense of the current flow, just random variations, but the AVO 8 showed it up perfectly. It was constantly varying between 30mA and 150mA. To make the digital problem worse, there were various other electronics on the car intermitantly firing themselves up, as they should, plus things being woken up by the oscillation.
I traced it by pulling the major fuses first until it stopped, then down to the smaller fuses on that major fuse. After lots of fuse pulling and lots of waiting around for processors to go back to sleep mode, I eventually traced it to the voltage relay module. To save further messing, I simply put a 50 amp relay in its main feed, powered by the ignition circuit.
There have been no issues since and the normal current once my car is asleep is 18mA, with every few seconds a brief pulse up to 25mA. I'm guessing the pulse is the alarm or possibly the Body Control Unit having a quick look around.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
On Sunday, March 8, 2015 at 1:49:21 PM UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

DMMs are generally useless on unsteady readings
NT

Decent one will have a low/high/average hold.
--
*Wood burns faster when you have to cut and chop it yourself.

Dave Plowman (News) used his keyboard to write :

Not quite the same as a needle pointer moving about.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Decent ones have a scale which mimics a needle too.
--
*The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on my list.

Dave Plowman (News) wrote on 08/03/2015 :

Yes, and I have three such, but they don't come close to an old fashioned pointer on a scale for usability.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

I've even seen a computer simulation of an analogue meter which resulted in a bent needle if you overloaded it.
--
From KT24 in Surrey

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18
On 08/03/2015 16:22, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

You can get DMMs with an additional bar graph type display so you can easily see the equivalent of the moving needle pointer.
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

On Sunday, March 8, 2015 at 3:45:00 PM UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

but most dont. And it still doesnt give as much info as a waggling pointer.
NT

The OP mentioned Fluke. My Fluke does. And that gives a far more accurate min/max than trying to read a waggling needle.
--
*Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental