Tilex: does it lose its power after time?

I applied a good amount to a mildew situation in the shower. The next day -- nada. The Tilex WAS a few years old. I guess it pays to buy it in small quantities.

What's a fairly safe way to dispose of it?

Thanks.

Reply to
Kalmia

The Tilex site say's it loses power after 1 year. I found another site that says spills less than 5 gals can be flushed down drain (in Ohio). If it's over 1 year I'd just toss it in the trash if it's not working for you. If you're really concerned call your local landfill and/or waste water department. They may know. BTW: I've wondered about Tilex losing it's strength too.

I've don't use it anymore. Good grout sealer and silicone caulk seem to do the trick for me.

Reply to
JimT

Tilex is pretty much just dilute chlorine which is unstable and will weaken as you described. Just dump it and add some chlorine bleach and water to the spray bottle and get the same results.

Reply to
George

Pour it down the sink (there is less chlorine bleach in there than a load of clothes if it was new) and throw the bottle in the recycle.

Reply to
gfretwell

That's pretty much true. I don't know the exact ingredients but Clorox say it's bleach and detergent which is the same thing that gets dumped in the drain in mass quantities daily. Another thing is, if the product is used as intended that's where it's going eventually anyway.

Reply to
JimT

It can lose strength over that time. I'd just dump it down the drain.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Dump it in a load of "whites" that you would normally bleach and run the load as usual.

Reply to
DD_BobK

Lower it gently into your trash can.

Reply to