Time to think of holidays?

Yes if you have ever been on a flight with a drunk person who is clumsy, aggressive and completely out of control you will know how scary it is.

Personally, I'd give them a parachute and eject them over some convenient land mass.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

he sobers up I'm sure that he will realise that this was preferable to being "offloaded" at wherever was the nearest airport at the time and a bill for 10K to pay for the diversion.

tim

Reply to
tim.....

>>> When he sobers up I'm sure that he will realise that this was preferable

Not a lot of alternates closer than the original destination.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

between Reykjavik and New York?

Nuuk, Greenland and Gander, Newfoundland spring to mind as not being too much out of the way

tim

Reply to
tim.....

And a lot more I should imagine depending on the size of the plane, would it have to be an "international" airport?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Many years ago my father and sister were diverted to Labrador, on a flight from Iceland to NYC.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Goose, I expect.

Reply to
Bob Eager

But there aren't any that are more "inconvenient" to the person being offloaded.

Gander, for instance, appears to have no scheduled passenger flights to anywhere (it makes its business providing "tech" stopovers for cargo planes)

Reply to
tim.....

Gander and Goose used to be stopovers before the Comet and 707 made transatlantic non-stops routine. If they can take a Constellation at full load I imagine they have pretty big runways.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Likely also part of the NATO reserve of airfields - some of which are kept up to snuff in the most unlikely of places.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

S Viemeister wrote: [snip]

I was on a flight to NY (from Manchester) diverted to Goose Bay in the

1970s. Bizarrely this was because NY was snowed in, but Goose Bay was clear

- three days in GB before the journey resumed. Fortunately back in those days the airlines actually looked after passengers.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I think its Goose that has a Vulcan , basically it broke down there and it was easier to keep it there as a memento than retrieve it.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Was that the winter of 1977-78?

Reply to
S Viemeister

Sounds right, it was the year I graduated.

It had snowed heavily at GB but the runway had been cleared. I also recall that one side of the runway was lined with huge conical buoys that, presumably, had been brought ashore for repairs.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Even if you'd been able to land in NY, you wouldn't have been able to get anywhere or do anything - the whole NY metro area was frozen, in every sense of the word.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I think being dumped there would be pretty inconvenient.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q