If you want a free upgrade to 1st class, play the race card.

After boarding American Airlines flight 1931 with service from Los Angeles to Phoenix on May 31, a customer requested to be seated in the first-class cabin and was informed he was not eligible for an upgrade and would have to remain in his assigned seat.

Subsequently, during the boarding process, the customer attempted to relocate to the first-class cabin on two occasions prior to leaving the gate.

Given the disruption on board, the flight departed the next day. We are continuing to review this incident, but we have determined all affected customers were provided with a hotel voucher unless they lived locally, as is our policy.

Roger Oveur