What's a reasonable number of times to be asked to give a jump start?

As per the header. The neighbour has got a knackered car battery but he is too nervous to just buy and fit a new one (he wants a main dealer to swap it!).
I am getting a bit pissed off with having to keep jump starting the bloody car - 5 times in the last two days.
When another neighbours car battery packed in this morning he just asked for a lift to the motor factors for a new battery. £75 all done in 10 minutes (apart from calling into the cafe for a full English on the way back from the shop).
--
Cheers
Adam

Add pictures here
✖
ARWadsworth wrote:

Go with him to buy a new battery, swap it for him, job done - no more jump starts.
Add pictures here
✖

He won't do that. Too nervous and will only let a main dealer do the swap.
--
Adam

Add pictures here
✖

If you can accept the guy is genuinely like that then I dont think you can apply a number that is considered reasonable or otherwise. You either help people in need or you dont. What if you hurt your hand and needed help everytime a jar required opening....what would be reasonable?
Add pictures here
✖

When is someone in need of help?

Now when I had a sprained ankle the neighbour went shopping for me twice. He did my food shopping but he did not buy me a new ankle.
He could purchase a new battery and I could fit it for free.
--
Cheers
Adam

Add pictures here
✖
Get his wife/kids to buy him a jump starter for Xmas, then the problem will go away tomorrow.
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 22:19:13 -0000, SS wrote:

There is a line. It's between being in genuine need and taking advantage of the generousity of others. ISTM the OPs neighbour has crossed this line and is therefore not really "in need" he's taking the mick.
My personal view would be, help him once. If he comes knocking again then jump him but only on the condition that he goes _directly_ to the main dealer - with me driving behind (in case he breaks down en- route). If he doesn't want to accept my terms, then it's "sorry: but I've got all this stuff to get ready for christmas ...."
--
http://thisreallyismyhost.99k.org/2320101219213327691.php

Add pictures here
✖

Tell him that each time you jump start it there is a small risk of corrupting the firmware in the dash thus immobilising the vehicle.
I don't know if it's true, but that's what an AA patrol told me about a Honda Civic.
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
✖

So why didn't he go there and get it done after the first jump start?
Add pictures here
✖
On 23/12/10 22:11, ARWadsworth wrote:

I looked in the wife's Mini the other day when topping up the screenwash and realised that I don't actually know where the bloody battery actually is! They've made everything else impossible/damn difficult to DIY so I guess the battery was the last bastion of simplicity that needed dealing with - bastards.
(I looked into it later and discovered apparantly you take the wide plastic trim under the wipers off or something).
My VW is roughly where you'd expect to find a battery but even that leaves some doubt about whether it would actually come out the box in the clearance above it (ie it is half under the bulkhead).
So I can sort of understand it if the car is still newish...
--
Tim Watts

Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 23:18:39 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

You'd have had fun finding it in the old Minis then...!
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Dragging on the road, held up by the cables.
Add pictures here
✖

Or when you have a big bloke in the back and they say "This seat is getting warm". I forget for the moment what was causing the short, but it was a good job the passenger was alert or it could have been very exciting.
Add pictures here
✖

Or on the (later modles of) V12 Jaguars.
Add pictures here
✖

Hah. None of you have ever owned a TVR. Or a Bristol.
--
Today is Pungenday, the 66th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3176
"If you could reason with religious people, there would be no religious people."

Stroo.
I suspect that I wouldn't be able to find my way into a TVR since having to knock on the door while holding one's nose and standing in a bucket of salt water wouldn't be the first thing that would occur to me when I couldn't find a door handle. And I don't think Bristol let riff-raff like me past their doors.
Add pictures here
✖

Me neither. Besides, I think they're dead ugly.
--
Today is Setting Orange, the 68th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3176
"If you could reason with religious people, there would be no religious people."
✖
says...

Not as ugly as the Dodge Caliber. Stopped next to one at the lights the other day. I'd not seen one before and was curious as to who had unleashed such a monstrosity on British roads. Then I saw it's American, which explained it all - the land of ugly cars.

✖

Fiat.
Sort of.
I drove one as a hire car in Italy. One of the worst hire cars ever IMO. The turbodiesel engine is sourced from VW so it's not bad. The transmission is, however, some dreadful lashup and it has terrible torque steer. General build quality as you would expect, rubbish.
Badly thought out interior, it pretends to be an SUV-lite but the seating and luggage arrangements don't live up to the idea.
Add pictures here
✖
On Dec 26, 10:29 pm, % snipped-for-privacy@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth) wrote:

Not all American cars are bad. Some are rather good. But best suited to their home market. And generally speaking, the Americans do bigger cars better. Some of the worst cars I've had have been American. So have some of the best.
Add pictures here
✖