Hard to Start Stihl FS 36 Trimmer?

I've had Subject trimmer for ten years, and of late it has been hard to start. I've probably yanked on the cord about 80 times this morning, and a few times it sputters and dies. I've had it in choke and run positions. Usually run gets it going. The outside temp is 62F. The little transparent fuel clear bulb has lots of fuel in it, as required. There is a bubble in it that may be 1/2" in diameter. I used it the other day for 30 minutes.

How to proceed?

Reply to
W. eWatson

Have the carb rebuilt.

Reply to
Jeff The Drunk

This normally happens when carburettor components (diaphragms or springs) are sufficiently worn that they no longer meet system specifications. The OP did not say whether his carburettor was ever serviced in 10 years. Miniature carbs like this do not last for ever.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

Change the spark plug and try again.

Reply to
Oren

Pull the spark plug out, and yank it a couple times with the plug out. Might easily be flooded.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

When my 36 got hard to start the carb was fouled from storing gas in it and I had to get it cleaned. Pull the plug after trying and I bet its wet and flooded, so use dont flood it if possible. Either- starting fluid should help but the final solution might be a carb cleaning, a new plug might help, when the plug is out ground it and pull the cord to see if the spark is good.

Reply to
ransley

I suspect it is wet, but I can't find my spark plug wrench. I think it looks like a socket wrench with a lever arm protruding from the side about 8".

Cranking it without the plug isn't dangerous is it?

Reply to
W. eWatson

Not in my lifetime.

Reply to
Oren

I wish you a long life. :-)

Reply to
W. eWatson

Pulled the plug. Gave it a few yanks on the cord. Tried again. No start. Monday I'll take it to the saw shop, and tomorrow likely rent one for a few hours.

Reply to
W. eWatson

Like I mention:

_Change the spark plug and try again._

Reply to
Oren

My friend's trimmer wouldn't run so we got the manual cleaned the carb, took out the needle valves, sprayed cleaner into the holes, put the needle valve screws back in using the manual as a guide for the number of turns open from fully closed and fueled it up. It cranked and ran on the first pull.

I blew his mind once when I ran a weed eater on compressed air.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

You can test the ignition system of a 2 cycle trimmer by using compressed air. Put the rubber tip of a blow gun or spark plug adapter attached to an air compressor tank and the engine will run on 50psi air. You pressurize it and pull the starter rope to get it started and it will putt merrily along. You can see if you get a good spark from the detached plug wire while the motor spins. It's no mystery if you understand how 2 cycle engines operate.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Just pull the spark plug wire away from the hole, and tuck it behind something (or tape it to the side of the machine). Yanking without the spark plug will help dry out the cylinder, which is probably flooded. Might restart, then, after the spark plug is put back in.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Taking out the plug and just pulling it a few times does and proves nothing. Was the plug wet indicating flooding? Did you attemp to check for spark. Starting fluid would be something easy to do that might make it go. Its only dangerout taking out the plug and pulling the cord when you stick you foot inside the cilinder.

Reply to
ransley

Stihl products I have had usually had starting problems with fuel lines cracking. Worst case was a chain saw only 2 years old, only worked decently the first year. If you tinker with the carb, a new fuel line might be a good idea.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Still doesn't work. Well, tomorrow it goes to the saw shop for inspection.

Reply to
W. eWatson

Please report back what the shop finds out.

Reply to
Oren

Ether is NOT a good idea on a 2-cycle. WD-40 (butane and lube) will do no harm as primer to start fuel moving again.

Reply to
Bob Villa

Use Either-starting fluid that has Oil added

Reply to
ransley