Craftsman snowblower won't run...

Just bought a new Craftsman snowblower back in October.

Used it a total of 5 times, now it won't start or run longer than 30 seconds to 1 minute.

Initially the first two times I used it, it ran fine...but always sounded as if it was backfiring (only way to describe it).

New gas, and oil (checked)

It started to get progressively worse since then...it has a electric start.

The third time I used it, it started, then died in the driveway multiple times....I turned the choke down some and it started and ran fine.

Same thing happend the fourth time I used it.

Yesterday, I went to start it and the thing will start but runs and sputters for about 30 seconds then just dies. The engine doesn't sound like its running full out either. No matter what I do it won't stay running long. Any ideas?

Reply to
Jason

If that is the case, it is still under warranty. Sears will tune it up for you.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Ive had sears give my a new dehumidifier even after 11 months, you never know. It is likely an air leak at the carb-engine or a loose fuel line, after the carb empties it sucks air. It could also be junk in your fuel can clogged the carb. Most motors have No fuel filter, a dumb way for them to save 1$. Im sure they will fix it but repairs take time and you need it now. Call Sears or go there, and see if something is loose or a cracked hose.

Reply to
m Ransley

Just tried some stabilizer with no luck...thing runs for 10 seconds tops then quits.

One thing I noticed is if I prime it it, starts up right away then dies.

When its warm it wont start at all until primed again.

Reply to
Jason

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 09:49:42 GMT, Jason wrote in alt.home.repair:

Had a very similar problem with my new Honda 621. It was dirt in the fuel system.

It was under warranty, but I had to raise h*ll with the dealer a couple of times to get it fixed right.

Take it back to Sears and insist that they fix it and not let it sit, then tell you that it ran fine for them.

Good luck,

HW

Reply to
HaroldWho

Sounds like carb problems of some sort. I'm thinking water in the gas.

If you're mechanically minded enough, pull the carb apart, and make sure it's nto got a load of water. If you're not mechanical, you may have some luck with three or four ounces of your favorite "auto dry gas" poured into the gas tank.

I bought a used snow blower years ago. Used to run for a couple seconds. Turns out to be some black junk in the fuel tank. After dissembling the carb several times, I finally installed an inline fuel filter, and now it runs much better.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The fact that it runs on prime for a few seconds is classic. This supplies fuel for a moment, after which the carburetor should take over, which it is not doing. Most likely the main jet is plugged. As has been suggested, the machine should be under warranty, plus it's less than 6 months old. The nice thing about big retailers like Sears is the employees couldn't care less about losing $$$ on a return. Odds are if you take it back & bitch enough they will give you a new one. Ask for a manager if necessary and carp up a storm. Failing that, a quick & dirty approach with a good chance of success is to pull the bowl off the carb, spray everything with gummout jetspray carb cleaner, removing the jet &/or needle at the base if possible & spray up inside (count the turns if there is a mixture needle & screw it back in the same amount). If you have access to compressed air, blast the hell out of it with this afterward. Put the bowl back on & try it again. Right way to do this is with the appropriate carburetor overhaul kit & the carb totally removed/disassembled, but if you just want to get it running for the rest of the season try it this way 1st w/o new bowl gasket etc., then replace them after you run it dry for storage. And by all means DO run it dry, if not next year you will have all kinds of misery from the dried up 2 cycle oil gunk in the carb. "Been there, done that" as they say.

Dan

Jason wrote:

Reply to
Dan

try loosening the gas cap and see if it runs. it may be that the vents are plugged

Reply to
ChazC

Will give that a try tomorrow. Sears says its under a 2 year warrenty. They are sending someone out on Wednesday...to bad we are getting

3-8 inches of snow tomorrow and the next day with possible snow the rest of the week!
Reply to
Jason