Jobsworths.

There's more stupidity in the ill thought out signage regulations too.

The sign *has* to be A5 in area, but the circular logo only 7cm (AFAIR). Nothing to say it can't be transparent plastic, mind.

Also, the additional wording is completely over the top...no need to say it's illegal, too...we don't for other laws.

See here...

particularly the rather nice sign on the right...click on it to see the words better.

Reply to
Bob Eager

In message , Clive George writes

IF we didn't have rules, where would we be ?

Reply to
geoff

geoff

Yes, but there's rules and rules, and it's the unbending following to ridiculous degrees, that makes the persons enforcing them *jobsworths*, and not just people trying to follow a rulebook sensibly. It's the same as coppers versus traffic wardens. If you stopped outside a shop on double yellows to let your elderly mother out to pick up a bottle of milk, a nearby copper would have politely reminded you that you had stopped illegally, and to move on as soon as your mother was back out of the shop. A traffic warden, on the other hand, will get out his binoculars, fill out the ticket, and rush up and slap it on your vehicle, irrespective of the circumstances. And that is why they are also considered to be miserable jobsworths, and universally despised for it ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

France!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

If we had rules and universally ignored them we'd be in Italy.

Reply to
Steve Firth

In message , Arfa Daily writes

not am Al Murray fan, then

Reply to
geoff

In message , The Medway Handyman writes

If we had too many rules, where would we be ?

Reply to
geoff

No.

France has the rules - they just aren't applied unless something bad happens.

Italy does as well, but they are more of a policy thing, rather like the traffic lights.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Germany!

"Pint for the fella... Glass of white wine/ fruit-based drink for the lady".

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In message , The Medway Handyman writes

If we had jobsworths who read rules by their letter and aren't capable of sensibly flexible interpretation

where would we be ?

Reply to
geoff

In message , geoff writes

A gnat's nipple away from my killfile ...

Reply to
geoff

Switzerland.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Bulgaria believe me, you ain't seen jobsworths 'til you've seen Bulgarian jobsworths.

Reply to
Keith

He certainly knows how to spoil his womenfolk ;-)

Don.

Reply to
Cerberus .

Who'd get in there to have a smoke, it's all s**te..

Now if you'd said within the vacuity of John Prescot.

Oh, just a minute ...

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

I don't think it's a stupid law.

We can now - in fact we MUST - display a no smoking sign in our canvas covered stall. That's a joy to us and many other traders because it means that we have the law behind our request to smokers that they don't pollute our atmosphere.

As for only a driver smoking in a cab, many cabs aren't only driven by one driver. The next drive to occupy that space will have to put up with the lingering and offensive-to-many smell of stale tobacco, which will impart itself to the non-smoker's clothes, hair and skin.

This is the only law made by NL that I support 100%. It may seem like overkill but there are sound reasons for it and I've noticed a reduction in smoking in public places since it was put into force. I just wish smoking in streets could be banned and that smoking immediately outside doorways - especially hospital doors - would be enforced.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

A far more serious problem is drinking in public places. It makes certain parts of certain cities a no go area at some times. Alcohol related diseases are increasing at a terrifying rate. Yet this government - and others - positively encourage alcohol sales and consumption. And you worry about the smell of smoke...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

er - why don't you park sensibly and go for the bottle of milk for your old mum?

Don't be silly.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I agree with all those points.

I don't worry about it, it's offensive, which is what I said. If someone were standing in a doorway shrieking some might find that offensive too.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher