Jobsworths.

Went down the Wandsworth tip today. Sorry - refuse transfer station. Everything goes into containers and is shipped out. Containers for all sorts of re-cycling too.

You get to the general ones via a one-way circuit. There are two lines of them - but only ever one line in use at any one time.

Normally one of the 'operatives' points each car from the queue at the closest empty one. But today they seemed more interested in chatting amongst themselves. I went nearly to the end of the line only to find the two containers with no cars in front of them full - and I had heavy bags of rubble. So had to drive round again. And had to stop in the access road for about 15 minutes while a truck removed full containers and replaced them with empty ones.

And a jobsworth was walking up and down the queue of cars looking for people either smoking or using mobile phones...

And when I finally got to a container it was full too - as were all the ones on that side. The other side all empty. And the operatives still chatting without a care in the world.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So the "operatives" are tossers down south as well as in Yorkshire

I once gave an operative a Barnsley Kiss for attacking me. The final result was a score draw.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

The ones in Brighton are like characters in a horror movie - like the wilder ones in the movie "Children of Men".

The household refuse centre was (is?) high up on the Downs. Once I went when it was smothered in low cloud, with visibility about ten yards. One of the "operatives" loomed at me out of the mist ...

.. and I vowed never to go there again in less-than-ideal weather conditions.

Reply to
Bruce

Bruce coughed up some electrons that declared:

North Farm, Tunbridge Wells is pretty standard. No problems unless you do something that catches their eye...

However, I must say that the Mountfield tip near Battle, East Sussex is excellent. Polite and friendly staff and the bloke sometimes even offers to help carry big things. Outstanding.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

What the hell has that got to do with them?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

But then everyone in Battle is polite and friendly, thats why its been popular with visitors since 1066. :)

-
Reply to
Mark

Just guessing, but on a landfill site methane is generated by decaying vegetation etc. So some typist somewhere decided that applied to anything to do with rubbish. There'll be no smoking or using mobiles signs on dustcarts shortly...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Friend of mine's a carpet fitter. He took a load of hedge cuttings and some general household junk to the tip in his van, which was otherwise filled with carpet trade paraphernalia. When he pulled up to one of the skips, a jobsworth shot out of nowhere and told him that there would be a fee for tipping as he was 'a commercial'. My friend patiently explained that he was a carpet fitter, as could be seen by the 'normal' stuff that was in his van under the hedge cuttings, and that he was just using his van as a convenient way of getting private refuse to the tip. It got very heated (you don't mess with my mate) and eventually, he told the recycling filtering operative that he had two choices. Either he could let him put his rubbish in the skip, and drive away, or else he was going to just tip his stuff all over the floor, and then drive away anyway. The guy sloped off, and left him to put his stuff in the skip ...

I have to say that my local tip is very good. It's kept very clean and tidy, and always has up to date figures for their recycling on display. The staff are always pleasant and helpful.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

AFAIK you can't smoke in a dustcart because it's classed as a 'workplace', Similarly HGV's & 'Works' vehicles. Orwellian, but 'Big Brother' likes us to think he cares about us (as if).

Don.

Reply to
Cerberus .

Indeed. And rightly so - although I suppose if all the crew smoked it seems overkill. But this sort of voluntary ban existed in these sort of vehicles without requiring a law to support it. But I was talking about a ban on smoking in the vicinity of a dustcart...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

As far as I know it is normal for tips to ban vans unless they have a permit. My carpet fitter leaves me with all the offcuts as he can't go to the tip - but I can with my car. Disposal of trade waste is now getting expensive and needs to be included in estimates - or left to Joe Public to sort out with bin or tip.

Reply to
John

Since this could turn into a tirade about public tips in general, I'd have to stick up for the one in Preston / Tom Benson Way, where the blokes (sexist?, nah, accurate observation) will go out of their way to help you, point you at the right skips, and yes, grabbing the heavier bags from the back of the car for you (I'm 6ft and heavy set, so I'm guessing this is something that they'll do for all). I've seen it change into the modern-day tip such that now the wife will confidently take herself and any bin-bags she creates down there under her own steam.

In some ways the tips of old have their appeal, but maybe the new style heavily regulated tips have a lot to be said for them. Scavaging still seems order of the day - you just have to be damned quick (like the doll's house maker who saw me walking with a mini router table to one of the skips!)

Reply to
Mike Dodd

Often a problem for me, they won't let my van in, simply because its a van. SWMBO has a Corsa which holds very little.

You also need a waste transfer license or something, so I have to leave disposal to the client.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

"The Medway Handyman" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I've had the same problem. In a flamin' brush-painted 2cv van, with a couple of binbags of garden rubbish in the back, ffs...

So I borrowed a neighbour's little box trailer. No, that was wrong, too. You need a permit for those.

Reply to
Adrian

I take my wife or daughter in the van, seems to work ok but there is a limit to how many bathrooms and kitchens I can suggest come from home. 2 months ago they had me sign a form detailing bath/sink/wc etc + reg no etc. Net result is more bonfires different dumps and nice days out for the fairer sex in my family.

Peter

Reply to
Peter

All in all down to good or bad management ... like most everything......

Reply to
tony sayer

Yes, but when the ban includes works vehicles where there's only the driver & no passengers I think it is taking things to the extreme. Below shows how stupid the law is, & no I'm not a smoker.

WHICH PLACES MUST BE SMOKEFREE?

The new smokefree law will apply to virtually all ¡¥enclosed¡¦ and ¡¥substantially enclosed¡¦ public places and workplaces. This includes both permanent structures and temporary ones such as tents and marquees. This also means that indoor smoking rooms in public places and workplaces will no longer be allowed.

Premises will be considered ¡¥enclosed¡¦ if they have a ceiling or roof and (except for doors, windows or passageways) are wholly enclosed either on a permanent or temporary basis.

Premises will be considered ¡¥substantially enclosed¡¦ if they have a ceiling or roof, but have an opening in the walls, which is less than half the total area of the walls. The area of the opening does not include doors, windows or any other fittings that can be opened or shut.

There is no requirement for outdoor smoking shelters to be provided for employees or members of the public.

If you do decide to build a shelter, we suggest you discuss any plans you may have with your local council, as there may be a range of issues you need to consider. These might include planning permission, licensing, building control, noise and litter.

SMOKEFREE VEHICLES

The new law will require vehicles to be smokefree at all times if they are used: to transport members of the public

in the course of paid or voluntary work by more than one person ¡V regardless of whether they are in the vehicle at the same time.

Smokefree vehicles will need to display a nosmoking sign in each compartment of the vehicle in which people can be carried. This must show the international nosmoking symbol no smaller than 70mm in diameter

When carrying persons, smokefree vehicles with a roof that can be stowed or removed will not be required to be smokefree when the roof is completely removed or stowed.

Vehicles that are used primarily for private purposes will not be required to be smokefree.

Ships and waterborne vessels will be covered by specific regulations that are being considered by the Department for Transport. More information is available from the Department for Transport by emailing snipped-for-privacy@dft.gsi.gov.uk or calling 020 7944 5427.

PRIVATE DWELLINGS

In general, the new law does not cover private dwellings. However, any enclosed or substantially enclosed part of a premises shared with other premises, such as a communal stairwell or lift in a block of flats, will be required to be smokefree if: It is open to the public

it is used as a place of work, for example, by a cleaner, postman or security guard.

The law does not require selfcontained residential accommodation for temporary or holiday use (for example, holiday cottages or caravans) to be smokefree. The owners, however, may choose to make the accommodation smokefree.

Anyone who visits private dwellings as part of their work, for example delivering goods, or providing services such as plumbing, building or hairdressing, can download further guidance at

WORKING FROM HOME

Any part of a private dwelling used solely for work purposes will be required to be smokefree if: it is used by more than one person who does not live at the dwelling

members of the public attend to deliver or to receive goods and/or services.

HOW WILL THE NEW SMOKEFREE LAW BE ENFORCED?

Local councils will be responsible for enforcing the new law in England. In the run up to 1 July 2007, they will work closely with businesses to help ensure that everyone knows what they need to do to become smokefree.

Their approach to enforcement will be based on supporting businesses to comply with the new law. However, they will have the legal power to enter premises or board vehicles to determine if the new law is being upheld.

If you manage or are in charge of any premises or vehicles that the new law applies to, you will have a legal responsibility to ensure they become and remain smokefree.

Don.

Reply to
Cerberus .

But that was the whole point. It was not trade waste. The guy only needed to look to see that my friend's normal trade was carpets, and this was hedge clippings. You can't just ban people on the basis of their vehicle. Some people probably own *only* a van - in fact thinking about it, another friend of mine does. It's this inflexible jobsworth attitude, that gets the tips, no matter how good and friendly they are, all the bad press ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

That doesn't appear to be the case - I've heard of many cases where vans are treated differently at tips.

Indeed. And they'll get stuffed for double the charge at eg the Severn crossing for doing so, even if it is the same weight as a car.

It's not "jobsworth", it's in the main rules. There's no flexibility available - which probably is a good thing, as at least people know where they are.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Perhaps they are actually disguised aliens that they haven't got quite right. They're designed based on horror and war films seen on Sky? Hope they paid their subscription. Their planet is now denuded of resources and they're touring the Milky Way in search of metals they can nick. Are there any UFO sightings over tips?

I always thought Tony Blair was an alien too. I could imagine him peeling off the Bambi mask. Could account for a lot.

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott