Jobsworths.

Man goes into drugstore. Buys a big fat cigar. Lights up. Assistant says "Put that out - no smoking allowed." Man says "But I just bought it here." Assistant responds "We also sell condoms."

Apologies. It is *very* old.

Reply to
Rod

It doesn't, no need to get glue anywhere other than the tin.

I thought you were a handyman, never used glue before?

Reply to
dennis

Where is this pub shelter you use that is open on one side as its illegal and I want to report it. The law states >50% of the "wall" area being closed is illegal, that would make at least two sides being open to comply.

Because smokers are generally thick and need a sign to remind them, even with the sign the silly buggers still do it so they must be pretty thick. Its a wonder they get jobs in the first place being that thick.

Its a house. Have you got a sign on your house?

The law is to protect employees, there is no option to sign away the right to protection even if you don't want it. Just imagine the consequences of an employer being able to remove your rights to protection at work.

That's easy to solve, ban smoking in the garden by the kids, I would. It is another example of how thick smokers can be.

They won't go bankrupt, that is a myth spread by smokers. They are still going to drink even if they have to go outside to smoke.

Reply to
dennis

It is, we've examined the requirements in detail - and taken advantage of them :-)

Hard cases make bad laws.

Or a handle - I was going to type 'knob' but would have been contradicted :-)

Or outside London.

Not just children, those smokers in the garden are affecting the air breathed by other adults.

Not sure that pubs will go bankrupt because of the no smoking law. There are many other influences.

We only drink at home now so wouldn't miss the pub. But we have better company at home :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Not if the shelter is 3 times as long as it is wide, like the one at my local bingo club is ...

That isn't true. With supermarket booze so cheap now, enough smokers are staying at home to do their drinking, that the pubs (and clubs) are really struggling. To cite my local bingo club again, since the smoking ban came in, the numbers attending have dropped by, in my estimation, around 30%. This has resulted in the prize money dropping and them closing one of the two bars that they formerly had. At the current rate of attendance, which before the ban came into force, had not altered a jot for seven or eight years, I can't actually see them surviving for much longer.

I used to be a smoker. I'm not now. I don't particularly defend people who want to smoke. It's a stupid thing to do, as I well know, but by the same token, I don't vilify them either, which I think that the new law *does*.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Where is that and I can get the local authority to pop down and give them a maths lesson and a fine or two.

Shame. Maybe they should stop exploiting the hard of thinking and not let smokers in anyway.

The new law doesn't stop smokers smoking.. it stops them smoking in some of the places they shouldn't have done in the first place. The laws are not wide enough IMO as smokers can still pollute the air.

Reply to
dennis

It would have to have only two sides. Doesn't matter how long the back ( or front is ), you'd still have to open one side as well as the back/front to reach 50%. You could do it with a circular structure.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

For good measure, why not bring in a few more laws;

Make it illegal to:

Have some mental or physical disfigurement Be a Freemason Be a member of the Communist Party Be of Roma descent Not be of heterosexual persuasion Be a member of a non prescribed religious faith

Come to think of it, wasn't that tried in the last millenia?

Don.

Reply to
Cerberus .

Of course. Banning smoking in private clubs is a nonsense too.

One pub I know has removed the kiddies play area to make more room for the smokers.

I can understand smoking being banned in a village pub where there is only the one - but in most towns there are more pubs than customers. So what on earth was wrong with allowing the owner to decide?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

When they apply the same laws to alcohol - no drinking under any circumstances in a public place or the workplace - and confine it to home only, I'll believe the non smoking laws were for the proper reasons.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'd be happy with that law. As long as our caravan/tent counted as home :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

OK, so I haven't read the law (it isn't relevant to me) however I don't see why Mary has to have a sign saying it isn't legal to smoke, but not one saying it isn't legal to take heroin.

No, I don't have a sign on my house, and I don't expect the PM (or the chancellor) to have signs on the doors of their flats in Downing Street. The door on the street opens into office/meeting space, not into a private residence.

Why would a non-smoker have a job in a cigar merchant?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Its a place of business. Brown should be fined immediately.

Protect employees from what exactly? Passive smoking is myth.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

No it's not, it is a fact. You're just too bone headed to admit the fact.

Tanner-'op

Who has changed his 'handle' to avoid your 'killfile'

Just can't stand the pace Dave can you?

Reply to
Claw Hammer

Regardless of TMH's blindness wrt smoking, morphing is something done by idiots.

And where did that come from?

Reply to
Clive George

Indeed!

Bob Eager

Why that doesn't harm others.

Well anyone can be stupid

Why that doesn't harm others

Why that doesn't harm others

Well if people want to believe in garbage it doesn't usually harm others.

Was it tried by you?

Reply to
dennis

Which part of someone else drinking harms you?

Ohh! I forget you are one of those smokers that refuses to believe you harm others.

Reply to
dennis

Well I though that my signature at the bottom of the post would indicate who I am in the context of this group.

As a matter of education to you, the actual change of posting name was simply a method of getting around a killfile filter to see if it gets a response - and besides, you could accuse anyone using a nickname or munged address (such as you have done to prevent spam) as being a morpher.

From combining various letters of the alphabet using a keyboard attached to a computer, which incidentally is done by the CPU converting the ASCII code for the relevant letter of the keyboard into a binary code of zeros and ones. which is then converted to GUI so that it can be read on a monitor.

Where did yours come from then?

Tanner-'op

Reply to
Tanner-'op

I've lost count. The last drunk that vandalised my car harmed me financially.

Several people have been murdered by drunks; they were unlikely to have done it sober.

I don't like smoking, but the laws are bloody stupid.

Reply to
Bob Eager