Jobsworths.

If only there were draconian laws for the things I find offensive. There'd be no kids allowed in shops for a start.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The "Jobsworths" in Bristol (Avonmouth) are very efficient indeed. :-)

Handing over copper pipe, electrical parts and lots more to the regular totters. Even helping them to load the stuff into their vans.

I suppose that this is a major contribution to recycling but does f- all for the council tax bills. I suspect that the value of stuff being legally recycled is worth only a tiny fraction of its true potential.

Ho Hum

Moo

Reply to
Moo

Shall we write to that nice Mr Brown?

:-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I don't understand why drinking isn't banned from public areas - other than licensed premises and private homes. Some cities have "No alcohol" areas - but why not al areas?

Reply to
John

If you think I'm being silly, then either you are not old enough to remember the days before jobsworth traffic wardens, you don't drive, or you don't get out enough. Traffic wardens in my town feature regularly in the local newspaper for their unbending attitude, and stupid sheep-like following of 'The Rules'.

I am not advocating that any of us should park illegally just for the hell of it, but sometimes, it's unavoidable to just stop and wait a minute. Woe betide anyone who does it in my neck of the woods, if there's a warden about. As an example, a couple of years back, wardens were slapping tickets on vehicles in a back street, that were queuing to get into a public car park, because the vehicles were considered to be 'stopped in a restricted zone' because of the double yellas on the street. There have also been numerous examples of cars being ticketed, because a bumper was over the parking bay delimiter line, even though otherwise perfectly legally parked and paid for. Now if you don't consider that is petty jobsworth-ing, I would venture to suggest that it is you, not I, who is "silly" ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

You haven't een round here very long have you!

I know quite a few sheep but none who followed any rules ...

Like sending your old mum our for a bottle of milk ...

Oh - there are yellow lines on the woodland paths?

Slapping?

Yes. The yellow lines are there for a purpose.

Um ...

Go ahead :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I wish that were true - the cities bit. Drinking in public areas is making the centres of even small villages no go areas at night :-(

Reply to
Graeme

Perhaps we should be made to wear yellow armbands as well...

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

No need you wear yellow fingers.

Reply to
dennis

Nice, that would be a match for your yellow fingers and teeth then....

-
Reply to
Mark

Ok you win. It is impossible to make a valid argument against foolish people like you, who have to endlessly challenge every point with interleaved moronic retorts that they think make them look clever.

You are right that I have not hung around this group for long, but I have contributed to other Usenet groups for more years than I care to remember, so please do not imply that you are in some way a more superior Usenet user than I, because you have been on this group for long time.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

But that's what Mary does all the time. You have to realise this! :-)

She's not implying, she's telling - because in her own mind she believes she is.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Indeed, she lives in a special world all of her own...

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Mine are brown....

:-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

What colour does glue stain your fingers Dennis?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Arfa Daily" saying something like:

Ah, you've met Mary, then?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Doesn't the glass fall out of the windows you replace ??

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

My point - a merry quip - was that you made certain suggestions about my driving history which you wouldn't have done had you contributed to this ng for some time. :-)

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Mary,

Two points.

Firstly, I don't know your stall. If it's open on one side, as most of those things are, I suspect it isn't illegal to smoke in it any more than it's illegal to smoke in one of those pub shelters.

That aside, I think it's been overdone. Why the requirement for a no smoking sign, and not a no anything else sign? Should we have signs listing every law that applies everywhere? How good would Hyde Park look if every tree had a sign on it stating that it was subject to a TPO, and that it was illegal to harm it?

... and anyway, why isn't there a sign on the front door of Number 10 Downing Street?

The second thing is that I think there should have been a licencing scheme in place to permit smoking in certain enclosed spaces. The obvious ones are the cigar shops in London that can't let their customers try the product.

That would also have meant that pub gardens weren't full of people smoking in front of all the impressionable children who aren't allowed inside.

I don't smoke and I never have. I quite like being able to go to a country pub, and not come home smelling of smoke. However, I'd rather come home smelling of smoke than come home thirsty because the pub has gone bankrupt.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Agreed. And having 'against the law' wording on no smoking signs is overkill.

Reply to
Bob Eager