Impact driver stuck bit

I think I've tried all the methods I can see - various approaches to move the collar (it's stuck), lubricating, and pulling it out. And it's now pretty useless as it is as the bit that's stuck is shot.

It's an 18V Lidl. Any ideas?!

Reply to
RJH

I had that problem with a hex drive bit in a Lidl driver but at least I was able to move the collar. To remove the drive bit I gripped it in a vice and pulling the impact driver at the same time as retracting the collar and it came out relatively easy. If you do manage to extract the stuck bit a squirt of silicone in the tool holder and no more problems. If the collar will not move try a squirt first it should penetrate as the bits are not held tight in the holder.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Is there a snap / split ring around the collar / chuck hole? If so, it is probably a ball bearing system.

Carefully, remove the snap ring, there is usually a washer under it and a large spring.

The outer of the collar should then slide off.

Be careful, there should be 2 ball bearings which will drop out. The bit should then be free. (The ball bearings fit into the groove in the bit.)

The ball bearings go back into the holes from the ?outside?, a bit of grease helps keep them in place (not too much), slide the collar back, replace the washer and snap ring.

There are some which have one ball bearing. These usually have a spring gizmo holding the ball in place which you need to push aside and replace once the bit is free.

Reply to
Brian

Thanks.

Alas no - the front assembly is part of the body - but it is at least screwed on, so that'll have to be my next route of attack.

I might be able to access whatever it is holding the collet once it's in pieces.

Reply to
RJH

Thanks - worth a try, but still not shifting.

Reply to
RJH

If you can?t see a collar you retract by hand, I assume it is an automatic type.

They are ( essentially) the same - they are the ones with one ball bearing. I?ve only seen one of those. The process is much the same, there is the extra spring to hold the ball bearing which needs to be moved.

Current issue aside, how do you find the Lidl driver? I?ve been considering one of their wrenches. I?ve bought Aldi power tools before and been happy with them - I use them for diy only.

Reply to
Brian

There are also the slimmer magnetic type, e.g. -

wasbit

Sorry - wrong thread.

Reply to
wasbit

Oh sorry yes, there is one of those. And it's jammed.

Thanks, I'l lreport back after the next attack.

It was really good. I'm not sure how/why they work, but it certainly shifted some screws last time I used it (stainless steel into steel that were somehow stuck) that weren't coming out with a conventional driver. I did use it on plasterboard when I had a lot to do but it was far too fierce. Not especially versatile then but handy when some clout needed - IMHO.

Reply to
RJH

Sorry, 12V

Update! I've been away for a few days and tried it again just now. Put the bit in a vice, pulled the drill and it came out relatively easily. Now, how to avoid it happening again . . . occasional squirt of silcone maybe?

Reply to
RJH

To add - it's a 12V, not 18.

Reply to