T.O.T. blue lights on vehicles

I've always noticed the things people do with their numberplates to make them to make them look like words etc - changing the spacing and putting strategically placed black or white bolts in.

I'm now starting to notice the number of vehicles with blue lights on them and this prompted me to wonder if they are actually illegal - or is it just if they flash that they're illegal - unless on an emergency vehicle?

Reply to
Murmansk

Just be grateful for idiots :) If the Police are looking for someone to stop the people with illegal number plates or lights are going to be the ones they pick, rather than you :)

Reply to
alan_m

AIUI:

They're illegal if they light up. They're illegal if they don't light up, as MOT roadworthiness requires all lights on a vehicle to be functioning.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

I imagine that would only apply to manufacturer fitted lights and also only apply to ?driving lights?, not ornamental ones.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I would imagine that floodlights on an emergency vehicle for illuminating the scene of an accident are probably not required *by law* to work, but they will be tested frequently to make sure they will be able to do their job.

Was the bulb tested in a combined tail light / side light accessory, clamped in a car's window, and powered off the cigarette lighter, as a parking light? I suppose if the bulb had blown and you hadn't had chance to replace it, you'd just hide the light in the glovebox ;-)

Reply to
NY

Near a bend beside houses on my way home someone installed something blue and reflective. At first glance it looks like a police car is sat there. Great thinking by the house-owner.

Reply to
misterroy

I'm surprised that the illuminated "placards" that some HGV drivers have on the rear wall of the cab are legal, given that they display various colours in a pattern (eg a football team's logo) to all oncoming vehicles. In particular, the blue LEDs give the same "this is a police car" first impression.

Reply to
NY

But they don?t flash, an important distinction.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

For the purposes of the lighting regulations, reflectors count as lights. To permit the use of blue in the country flag part of number plates, it was necessary to allow vehicles to show a steady blue light. The only remaining restrictions are that a vehicle may not show a white light to the rear or a red light to the front.

However, it is still illegal to fit a flashing blue light, or anything that may appear to be a flashing blue light except to emergency vehicles.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

What colour is your reversing light?!

There's a good summary of the requirements at

Jeff Layman

Ah, but the back of the car is the "front" in the direction of travel when it is reversing!

Reply to
NY

That is one of a long list of permitted exceptions, but I thought most people sensible enough to know it is one.

That doesn't mention the fact that reflectors are also counted as lights. It also quotes the original 1989 Regulations, without mentioning any amendments. The showing blue lights amendment was to allow the EU flag to be shown on numberplates, with GB in the centre, instead of having to fit GB plates to travel within Europe. None of the UK flags comply, although the Scottish flag could legally be used on the front numberplate, as it contains no red.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

I'd welcome any clue to the legislation which swept away the detailed provisions in regulation 11 of the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations

1989 (including a ban on blue rights to the rear other than for police etc vehicles). I can find nothing. And if it had been found necessary to provide for flags just to add an exception for them along with the other detailed rules for them in
Robin

Provision for "the EU Flag" on number plates and the Saltire etc was made in the 2001 regs I linked to in my earlier post. They were accompanied by The Road Vehicles Lighting (Amendment) Regulations 2001 which made one very specific amendment to the 1989 regs, to add a new subpara (sa):

"(sa)reflected blue, yellow and white light from a retro reflective plate displaying a distinguishing sign in accordance with Council Regulation (EC) No. 2411/98(2);"

I don't see that as licence for blue lamps.

Reply to
Robin

I didn't know the exact regulations. I was simply remembering it being reported that blue lights were now permitted. Obliviously the reporter didn't get it quite right.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Did the reporter also say that green and yellow lights were also now permitted?

Reply to
Robin

My recollection of the report is that it said that the only remaining restrictions were that white lights could not be shown to the rear (not mentioned, but obviously not including reversing lights) nor red to the front.

Reply to
Colin Bignell