PIR blue LED lights - lifesafers !!!!!

Have dotted a few of these around the place a couple of years ago.

Power cut at 8pm Saturday, and they came into their own. Instant light in the bathroom, hallway, and kitchen. Never really considered them emergency lighting till now, but they were lifesavers.

Was able to locate the wind-up lantern, and use that until power was restored.

Top tip - well worth the cost.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Link might help. Do you mean PIR, or just ordinary emergency lights with a battery backup. And what's the significance of blue?

(I have an aldi/lidl cordless torch that sits in its combined wall-wart and charger. That does come on automatically on loss of power. It lives next to the consumer unit, very handy).

Reply to
newshound

although that actual pack is discontinued.

No significance to "blue" (really blue-white) just that how they came.

The main thing is you hardly ever remember they are there, since having the main lights on suppresses them.

But when it's dark, and the powers been knocked out, they suddenly come into their own. (I reckon the manufacturers missed a trick by not including an optional battle-alert noise, just for lolz).

Years ago I wanted a wall-torch that came on when power was cut. No amount of googling could reveal such a beast (I may have asked here) despite me seeing one advertised in a magazine ages ago.

No need for one now though ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

The Amazon type are available from ebay/hong kong for £3.50 Battery and daylight sensor PIR.

ss

That's the Wifi version. The passive ones are still listed:

Terry Casey

Thanks to the posters for the sourcing links :)

The funniest thing is these were put up as a simple way to get a light into a couple of hallways that weren't wired for light as a cheap fix for that nighttime piddle problem :)

It was only when the power cut hit their double-function as a fallback emergency light hit home. Thought I would put it out there ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

3M made a wonderful plastic for the job back in the days of filament bulb based torches. Dayglo yellow loaded with Strontium aluminate. The torch continues to emit light for hours after it has been in the sun.

These days using LED torches you can bridge the on/off switch with a 1M resistor and have a torch that you can always find in total darkness. A few uA is more than enough to see by once your eyes are dark adapted.

Reply to
Martin Brown

I've got a little glowstick on my keyring that's powered by atomic decay ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Actually if they are like some I've seen they have two sensors. 1 if there is enough general light, they will never come on,

2 if there is no light, ie middle of night and some movement is detected they come on. If they are on mains, this is fine, and if there is a power cut the battery will run the light, but not run the battery down, since when you go out of range after a time out the lamp goes off saving the battery.

I have no need myself for obvious reasons. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

The old tritiated plastic fishing floats and emergency evacuation routes. The strontium aluminate is an entirely passive process absorbing and storing energy from sunlight in the daytime and emitting it after dark. It is quite an amazing material. Handy for camping and sailing where you really can find yourself in near total darkness.

Reply to
Martin Brown

I once found myself in that situation after staying too long in a pub the other side of the hill on a winter afternoon. It's reached by an old, very deep footpath down a steep valley under thick woods. We were interested to discover there was enough phosphorescence in some of the moulds/mosses/lichens or whatever on the sides of the path to give an idea of where we were going. Not actually lighting up the ground, but you could steer between the "walls". Long before the days of mobile phones.

Reply to
newshound