Arc-fault breaker on troffer lights tripping

I've got a HomeLine 20 amp Arc-fault breaker that intermittently trips on a circuit that has troffer lights. Is this a common problem?? There are two

3-way switches controlling the lights. When I turn on the lights, the breaker may trip. I try to reset the breaker, but it will continue to trip until I shut the light switch off.

Not sure how to fix this, or if I should just replace the arc-fault breaker with a regular 20 amp breaker. Thanks for your advice.

Reply to
Jack

As cheap as standard breakers are, it makes sense to buy and substitute one for the AFCI as a quick positive test. Keep in mind that Homeline is the lower cost Square D equipment. However, the switch itself could be the problem, and again, substituting a new one would be advisable. Do the switch first since that is the lowest cost. If problems persist, then move upstream to the lamps looking for fried wiring from heat or other needed repairs.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

If the lights are on a circuit that doesn't require arc fault protection, I'd replace the breaker with a standard one. You could have loose connections, bad switches, bad transformers, etc. It really will require ironing out the entire lighting circuit

Reply to
RBM

Replace the breaker. They are not needed. We went nearly a century of electricity without them. They are nothing but a BIG ASS WASTE of money.

Steve Barker

Loose wires cause fires.

Reply to
Tony

*I agree. The AFCI could be tripping because you have a condition that causes it to trip like it is suppose to. In that case you should check everything. However if you changed your circuit breakers from standard models to AFCI's then perhaps you should change back or put in a newer AFCI.
Reply to
John Grabowski

When was the last time it worked, have any changes been made to the circuit, fixtures or switches replaced?

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Brand new circuit. There are 4 lights on the circuit. 2 - 2x4 troffers and

2 2x2 troffers. Turning on the small lights doesn't seem to be causing the problem. Ill check all wiring, and replace the switches controlling the 2 2x4 lights.

Thank you for your time answer>> I've got a HomeLine 20 amp Arc-fault breaker that intermittently trips on >> a

Reply to
Jack