Impact driver choices

Any recommendations as I want to buy one - or put it on my wish list to Santa:-)
--
Adam

loving my Makita - uses same batts as me combi - cost 60-70 odd from ebay, bare no batts/case, uses 18v NiCds or NiMHs not posh lithiums...;>(
ebay "makita impact 6936" tho cheapest bare is now 85/90?
spose depends if you have existing cordless kit to make extra use of....
Cheers Jim K

oh here you go
ebay 271102782763
from someone who can't spiel ;>) 75 posted
Jim K
On 16/11/2012 19:28, ARW wrote:

Makes sense to go for something that matches the batts and chargers you already have, unless you fancy some of the new very small and light 10.8 LiIon models that Bosch and Makita do.
--
Cheers,

John.

On Fri, 16 Nov 2012 22:42:02 +0000, John Rumm

It would make even more sense to go for one that doesn't rely on a charged battery at all, and just uses a hammer.
Manual impact drivers (the originals) are popular in the biking fraternity.
Lower carbon footprint too!
:-)
--
Frank Erskine

On 17/11/2012 00:10, Frank Erskine wrote:

It depends on what you want to do with it, but for the vast majority of applications it would make absolutely no sense at all...

Indeed - but the only thing they really share in common is the name - they are for all practical purposes unrelated tools.
Yes the electric one might free a stubborn fixing, but you are not going to use a "clobber with a hammer" ID to stick 500 3" screws into a deck any time soon.
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Impact_driver#Disambiguation
--
Cheers,

John.

On 17/11/2012 01:50, John Rumm wrote:

Any recommendation up to say 100? I've been using a B&Q 14.4 10 clearance jobbie for the past couple of years and it's been great, one of my most used power tools. But the battery now holds very little charge and the 'chuck' has a worrying amount of play.
I have no other battery powered drills etc, although I'd like to buy with an eye to getting a half decent cordless drill at some point. Got my eye on partner's Bosch blue but I can, apparently, sing for that :-)
Rob
On 17/11/2012 08:59, RJH wrote:

I've got one of the small Makita ones - actually two! The stick-format 7.2V which is, for its size and voltage, quite amazing. And one of the 10.8V ones which knocks the spots off the 7.2V.
If it does what you need, it is good, though I would choose something a bit bigger and (even) more powerful for decking construction. The small size makes it fit into quite tight spaces and it is quite controllable.
Also got its partner drill. Again, amazing for its size. But I do sometimes appreciate having my bigger, more powerful SDS.
There are always offers going on such as:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-dk1492-10-8v-triple-pack-drill-driver-impact-driver-radio/98711
But a) that includes radio; b) still seems expensive.
(When I say "I've got" what I really mean is that these are SWMBO's tools which I end up nicking because they are so nice to use.)
--
Rod

On 17/11/2012 09:15, polygonum wrote:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-dk1492-10-8v-triple-pack-drill-driver-impact-driver-radio/98711
Which does beg the question, how come she gets all the nice tools? (or were these carfully planned cristmas pressies that you knew you might be able to borrow?) ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.

On 20/11/2012 00:40, John Rumm wrote: <>

Because I've got all the big, heavy, old crap filling up the shed! Which is too much for her. :-)
--
Rod

But they require a considerable whack to work - which is fine if the thing you're removing the screw from is solid, but of no use if it isn't. An impact drill driver can be used with anything.
--
*If at first you don't succeed, avoid skydiving.*

I have been previously told that there is an old ?Makita? driver which matches my 18V Site (Screwfix special) drill/driver. Can't find the post in my stash at the moment. Anyone able to point me to one on eBay?
Cheers
Dave R
[Not even bunny]
On Saturday, November 17, 2012 10:07:23 AM UTC, David WE Roberts wrote:

"Fine Woodworking Tools and Shops Annual Issue " tested a selection. Conclusion was Panasonic EY7550 best with DeWalt DCF895C2 coming in second. Makita LXDT08 got an honourable mention. (Those are American market names. You may have to search for the European equivalents)
On 17/11/2012 10:07, David WE Roberts wrote:

Not really a surprise since Site stuff was typically last year's model Makita in red.

Assuming your site tool is a NiCd or NiMh battery, then you need one like mine:
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=File:Makita18VImpactDriver.jpg
So:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Makita-6936FDZ-18v-Impact-Driver-Body-Only-6936z-6936-PLUS-CASE-/261128142896?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item3ccc734030
--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Makita-6936FDZ-18v-Impact-Driver-Body-Only-6936z-6936-PLUS-CASE-/261128142896?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item3ccc734030
Just to double check: my Site is an SMB810 with the BA1813 1.3Ah Ni-Cd battery. Oh, and red is a generous colour description. Mine is more like sex aid pink ;-)
Cheers
Dave R
[Not even bunny]

suspect you may have to get off your arse and visit a store to see if your batts fit....
Jim K
On 19/11/2012 11:19, David WE Roberts wrote:

Makita (prior to introducing the LiIon tools) used the same battery connector and layout for pretty much everything. (even their long thin 9.6V packs will fit the modern chargers).

I will have to take your word for it - I have a site circular saw and angle grinder, but nothing of that nature to compare them with ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.

One final decision then - is it worth saving about 18 to get one without the box? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Makita-18V-Impack-Driver-6936FDZ-/271102782763?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D3590403841728047682%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D261128142896%26 Just wondering why all the other listings seem to come with a box and this one doesn't.
All my other cordless drill/drivers and my cheapo SDS drill live in their own boxes but the B&D mains powered stuff doesn't. Ah, decisions, decisions!
Cheers
Dave R
[Not even bunny]
On 2012-11-20 09:55:25 +0000, David WE Roberts said:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Makita-18V-Impack-Driver-6936FDZ-/271102782763?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D3590403841728047682%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D261128142896%26

When I got mine I got it without a box. I use the impact driver and drill/driver so frequently that it's handy just leaving them leaving around - or dumping them in a bigger bag of stuff to carry to whatever I'm doing, rather than bothering to put them in their own boxes.

It could be a split of a pack that originally contained a drill (and a battery + charger)
You could also end up with something not covered by a Makita UK guarantee*, or even a fake.
* They insist that it has a CE mark on the serial number tag.