how do I choose between boiler quotes?

I have two quotes from plumbers to replace my combi boiler. For the same make/size of boiler, one has quoted 1500 and the other 850 UKP. How do I choose? Cheaper is better, unless that means poor workmanship. Or is the expensive guy just conning me?

Both say the boiler will cost around 650. So the difference is in labour charge. What's normal for a fairly standard replacement?

Thanks for any advice, Chris.

Reply to
c.wallace

You need to the exact boiler that they are going to fit before you can compare.

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Yes I have - they are both quoting for a vailant 24kW. Both said the bioler itself would cost c. 650 UKP.

Reply to
c.wallace

Make sure that both installers are including flushing out the system before fitting the new boiler.

Reply to
mark_yh

personally, I'd do that myself before the plumber arrived.

if the job is half a day removing, hanging and comissioning the boiler and half a day flushing the system it may be the reason for the big difference in price so the OP would need to clarify exactly what's being quoted for.

dropping a boiler off and flushing the system is very DIYable, ime and should take no more than a couple of hours.

RT

Reply to
[news]

THEY most certainly won't pay £650 for the boiler, probably more like £450 Ask for a breakdown of costs and spec of what they're doing for the labour charge. You could do what my mate did: get best boiler price from one of the on-line vendors then tell fitter you will pay that + quoted labour charge and of course any extras like pipes, valves etc. It worked for him.

Reply to
Old Bill

It's a no brainer go for the £850 guy and send me his phone number

-- Paul Barker

Reply to
Paul Barker

In article , Paul Barker writes

Well on the face of it that may seem a good idea but I'd really like to know what each is offering, or is this a case of one of them having too much work on and pricing himself into *not* getting the job?....

Reply to
tony sayer

One thing to consider is whether they are both qouting for the same level of work. When I was getting qoutes for our boiler, some of them were qouting for just the installation of the boiler and the flushing of the system, others were including replacing all the valves on the radiators with thermastatic, and another had built in a buffer in case any of the radiators needed replacing (the system was changing to a main pressure one so there was a chance that some of the existing rads and pipework might not have been up to the job).

You really need to be completely clear on exactly what they're qouting for before you make a comparison.

Seri

Reply to
Seri