boiler installation

hi,

my bro. needs to get his boiler replaced and i'd like to enquire here to those with experience. how can get the boiler replaced most economically? i had some quotes that are extortionate.

someone advised me to buy a boiler and find a local plumber/installer to install it. so if i go this way, how much do you this is a reasonable price to have a boiler replaced?

thanks in advance for any constructive advice.

Reply to
ian

There's a shortage of plumbers ...

Get British Gas to quote, then any plumber quoting around 60% of BG is probably reasonable.

The problems with that are (a) plumber can probably get the boiler at trade discount cheaper than you can, so will increase his labour charge to make up for loss of profit on the boiler, and (b) if something doesn't work the plumber can blame the boiler and the boiler retailer can blame the plumber, and you are left with no-one taking responsibility for the problem.

If the plumber is to supply and fit and do all works necessary to provide a working central heating system, then you have one person responsible for sorting everything out.

Besides which, most plumbers have boilers they prefer and are used to working with. Obviously if this happens to be one of the crappier boilers you need to find another plumber.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Depends on how much work is involved. If it is like-for-like, say replacement of an existing wall-hung condensing with a new wall-hung condensing then in my experience a plumber will typically charge up to £1300 to supply and fit. But if it is replacement of an existing floor standing or back boiler with a new wall hung, with new plumbing and electrics, then the cost will be much higher. Why pay retail price and risk buying the wrong boiler when a plumber can buy the right boiler at trade price? What is involved and what estimates have you received?

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

I'm having a combi replaced at a cost of =A3200 labour with a new condensing one I purchased. This includes moving the position slightly

- so cutting a new vent hole - and waste for the condensate. My plumber also suggested powerflush @ =A3400 but its possible to hire the gear for about =A350 from HSS and DIY. I'm in the South East.

Reply to
p.lavers

I'm having a combi replaced at a cost of £200 labour with a new condensing one I purchased.

That is a very reasonable price.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Maybe that corgi registered installer who is following building regs to the letter and issuing the certificate would like to install boilers for me at £

200 a go. I have tried to get fully qualified installers to do this type of work at prices well above £ 200 but for some reason cannot. Maybe its because you cannot do it properly for that type of cost. Maybe someone would like to prove me wrong. I have 4 boilers to install in the next 3 weeks and I would much rather pay someone £200 per boiler whilst I play golf. I have a feeling that I will not be playing golf !
Reply to
IAN CAPEL

Read the BoilerChoiceFAQ.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I agree with what Owain says, having been down this route myself. I'd add that further to (b) above, the majority of plumbers don't want to take on this sort of work for this very reason - it ends up with aggro for them if something doesn't work. They have so much work on, they simply don't need this and can pick and choose jobs. Frankly, you'll be lucky to find someone who'll do it.

Definitely find an engineer first who will agree to this before you buy the boiler, and be sure you buy a boiler that the engineer is happy to fit.

David

Reply to
Lobster

ian said

You could see the agro I'm having with part L (see previous post for a copy) you can't just have a boiler replaced. Thanks to twojags & one mistress you need the whole system replaced.

Reply to
zaax