Gas Boiler Installation

I'm looking to get a new condensing combi boiler fitted as a replacement for an old back boiler. It's going to go into an airing cupboard replacing space from removed immersion heater - connecting pipes required under floor across a couple of rooms and down to a garage to connect with gas.

For the complete installation (inc controller, wiring, etc) I've been quoted over £2000 for the fitting (not including parts cost)- does this sound okay, reasonable, silly??

Graham

Reply to
Graham Dean

Is this a combi? What make, model, flowrate?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Combi is ferroli optimax c - would that make a big difference for installation costs? (not combi etc costs)

Reply to
Graham Dean

When you say "not including parts", does that also not include the boiler itself?

Reply to
John Rumm

Its too much. I'd expect it to include the boiler for that. Mate had very similar job done. he paid =A31200 for the labour. He also beat them down on price of boiler itself to what he could buy it online for.

Reply to
O.B.

Nope - £3300 altogether, with a ferroli optimax c combi, controller, thermostat, wiring, plumbing etc - inc removal of immersion heater, hole in wall.

Still seems a bit too much?..

Graham

Reply to
Graham Dean

Over 3k for a boiler change is probably too much. Get a few quotes off reputable installers including BG and make sure that the make/model of boiler is specified. A lot of money can be made by supplying a low grade boiler at a high grade price..

joe

Be a good Global citizen-CONSUME>CONFORM>OBEY

Circumcision- A crime and an abuse.

tarquinlinbin

Combi's are rated by the flowrate. Get a 14 litres per minute @ 35C temperature rise, or preferably above that figure

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I've just had a Worcester-Bosch Greenstar 24ijunior fitted, with removal of tanks , changes to pipework, and a lot of work up a long ladder to

2nd floor flat in central london. A full four days work last week. Price including boiler etc 2,500
Reply to
DJC

Sounds a bit steep to me. Even if you are talking four man days of work...

Reply to
John Rumm

David,

Thanks -it does sound like my quote is on the high side then. I'll get a couple more quotes, but it does sound like it shouldget closer to £2.5k all in.

Graham

Reply to
Graham Dean

Thanks for all your advice - very useful.

Cheers, Graham

Reply to
Graham Dean

The job was certainly much cheaper than the quote I had in January which was over 3000 And that would have required another 1000 to alter the built in wardrobe as that plumber didn't believe the boiler could be fitted in the best available space.

The person who did the job last week did tell me that his business has really died since April. Before he was putting in 2 new boilers a week, now its about one a month. "People hear the prices and say sorry..."

Reply to
DJC

(a) given that the cost of a condensing boiler is not that much more than that of a comparable non-condensor and there's not much more to installation then the new prices shouldn't be that different; and (b) a better salesman would point out that althouugh the initial spend is a little more, the savings in energy costs make this a sound investment.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

And prepare for a cold shower/lukewarm bath. Stick a proper boiler in with a space hogging copper tanks. 9/10 cats prefer it.

Now get back to that counter drivel - you are paid to work until 5:30 selling copper tanks to the cognoscenti.

Reply to
Matt

You must have a very small, very well insulated or very cold flat. ;-)

20% is the likely saving by changing to a condenser for space heating, unless you had a very inefficient old boiler.

A gas 'powered' shower is likely to provide a far better flow than any electric shower so might be difficult to do a direct comparison, cost wise.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So why aren't they guaranteed for 20 years?

Do you work for Curry's now?

Most here know that when a salesman says a product will last 20 years while being guaranteed for perhaps 3, they're lying through their teeth.

Which you are perfection at.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Reply to
DJC

The same reason why the old boilers were not. Boy are you dumb. 5 year guarantees of boilers and in some cases 5 years on certain parts, is now common. In the time of cast iron crap, only one year guarantees were given.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Reply to
Doctor Drivel