Getting a new Combi Boiler Fitted

Hello, our Ocean Combi boiler is on it's last legs. It has being covered by an insurance policy from Home Service Insurance.

I have been told by the heating engineer sent by the insurance company that tried to fix the boiler that the Worcester 2F CDI would be the best boiler to replace it He also recemonded a Baxi 80 ECO and a Vaillant Turbomax.

Do you agree with his choice?

My other question is would it be better to get a heating engineer to supply and fit the new boiler or for me to buy the boiler mail order and then get a someone to just fit it.

Also as I live in Preston Lancashire has anybody any recommendations as regard to central heating engineers in this area?

Any advice would be grateful.

Many thanks,

Tony.

Reply to
Tony Walker

Tony, I just fitted a Vaillant Turbomax Plus 828E, replaced an old Potterton conventional boiler. Been very pleased with the hot water performance for showers (flow rate @35C temp rise 11.5 l/min). Bought it online from discountedheating.co.uk and it was a lot less than the plumbase around the corner. Took a bit of work to get it plumbed in as we converted the system from a conventional indirect system with loft tank etc. but the boiler itself is very easy to commission and we only had two small problems. The LCD display that shows the current flow temp, etc. stopped displaying although the boiler was functioning ok, a call to Vaillant and they sent out an engineer under their warranty and swapped the display unit there and then. The other issue was a split o ring in the mains water inlet valve that must have been caught when the boiler was assembled in the factory and just decided to let go when we were flushing the rads (lucky for me it didn't go when we were out of the house!) and this cost 20p to get a replacement from a local shed. If you can find someone to fit and commission the new boiler locally I'd buy it online as it should save you a few pennies.

Graham

Reply to
Graham Tavener

Worcester Bosch and Vaillant seem to be regarded fairly highly, if you read the numerous boiler threads on this newsgroup. I fitted a Vaillant 828 in

2003 myself, and there were no boiler related problems ( luckily since I am not Corgi-registered so any guarantee would probably have been disputed by Vaillant ), nor is setting it up difficult as it is all factory adjusted. It has worked well since, only one lockout, cause unknown, which did not recur upon reset. The Vaillant Turbomax has a nice lcd display which tells you the boiler loop temperature and also has fault codes etc, so it is a bit of a boon to be able to interrogate the boiler if there is a fault. The Vaillant also has a 'warmstart' facility whereby it keeps about 2 litres of water warm ( if you enable it ) so that you can get hot water that little bit quicker if you want. I think you need to buy before April this year otherwise you will have to get a condensing boiler ( new energy efficiency regs ), and they cost a bit more up front.

Andy.

Andy.

Reply to
andrewpreece

I would get the fitters to buy it. If anything goes wrong you will be in a far better position under the sales of goods act to get it sorted by the fitters. If you can fit it yourself and just need the fitters for commissioning it then go ahead snd buy online.

Reply to
Richard

OTOH, you may prefer to be in a position to sue a nationally based boiler supplier than a fly by night fitter who will set his dogs on you if you complain.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle