Broken Worcester Boiler

Hi all,

Our Worcester Heatslave Highflow boiler broke down last night, leaving us without heat and h/w.

The pilot wouldn't stay lit, so we have replaced the thermocouple, but no joy.

Does that mean it's the gas valve, or is it worth replacing the high-limit stat?

Anyone know how much a new gas valve is, and where I can source one at a reasonable price? I may have to consider a new boiler, but I also have to think about the welfare of the household, and the weather forecast isn't very encouraging...

I'd also consider calling in a professional, if anyone can recommend someone sound (we are in Stratford-upon-Avon).

TIA for any help or advice!

David

Reply to
David Pashley

Update:

We've decided it's an ex-boiler. Not only are there problems over which model of gas valve is needed, necessitating multiple purchase and restocking fees etc, we've discovered water seeping from the heat store.

So now I have just hours to decide what model of new boiler to go for. A CORGI man who will fit it quickly is supposed to be calling me back.

Candidates so far are Vaillant ECO plus 831, and Worcester Greenstar 30 (not sure whether CDi or HE) or maybe Junior 28. It's just a 3 bedroom house, but DHW flow rate would I think be unacceptable with much less than 30KW.

All inputs (well nearly all) gratefully received.

Thanks David

Reply to
David Pashley

Obtain a multimeter. Measure if it's the high limit stat.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I think you are on the right lines. You could read the BoilerChoice FAQ see below.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

It's a short, which I assume means it's OK.

I guess the fact that the pilot won't light points to the gas valve.

Thanks

Reply to
David Pashley

Not necessarily in fact the gas valve is usually the least unreliable piece of kit in the boiler.

Reply to
Ed Sirett