Potterton Kingfisher CF45 boiler

Hi

New residence has a Potterton Kingfisher CF45 boiler, which my gas savvy friend says to leave for as long as possible.

Trouble is I don't know how to light it.

Stat & timer are all fairly new Sunvic, all calling for heat.

Can't see a pilot light, old owner of the house tells me the thermocouple is less than a year old.

Don't think there is a fault - I just don't have any instructions.

Anyone know?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

good?

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

FWIW you could try

Robin

I had a (larger) Kingfisher RS years ago, and to light it you held in the red button on the gas valve and pressed the igniter. This produced a spark (each time it was pressed - a mechanical generator, not electronic) which lit the pilot light. You should be able to see the spark in the dark. If it didn't light the pilot, removing that and cleaning the jet usually sorted things.

BTW, it may be a reliable boiler, but horribly inefficient. Like about

50%. So will use twice as much gas as a decent modern one.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thats the problem - I can't find an igniter :-(

Ah, OK, thanks for the tip.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Is there a stiff piece of wire on a cord with a loop at the end of the wire? And a sight glass which can be removed by butterfly nuts? [You may ask "Who is butterfly nuts?". I couldn't possibly say.] If so you insert a wooden match into the loop at the end of the wire, remove the sight glass, and poke a lighted match through the hole whilst pressing down on the gas valve. Piezo electric? There's posh!

Reply to
David WE Roberts

The Medway Handyman wrote in news:3Kn6s.220102$ snipped-for-privacy@fx12.am:

There is no ignitor on the CF boiler.

Use a match or taper to light the pilot through the little covered hole at the bottom whilst pushing down on the control button on the gas valve. The efficiency is up the 70s on this boiler but there is very, very little that can wrong with these.

THis is an open flue boiler and I would strongly advise it to be checked out and serviced by a Gas Safe regisered fitter.

Heliotrope Smith

Personally, if it is in the house, I'd ditch it now. If in an outbuilding, just as soon as possible. Had a mate killed by a CF boiler fitted in the kitchen. It was boxed in but with adequate vents. Sadly things got piled up by the vents and partially blocked them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks to all, got it lit.

It was serviced & checked by a GasSafe guy before we moved in.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Mate of the previous owner, was he?

Reply to