Remote {IR?} signal for socket high up behind kitchen cupboards

I have a freeview digi box for kitchen located on top of kitchen cupboards; for now is on a timer so not on all night. Socket is very high/notvisible from floor.

Is there a device that would allow me from the floor to signal via Infra Red perhaps, to turn on/off without having to get steps out ie something that plugs into allocated power socket?

Thanks

Reply to
Gel

or

Lobster

This looks amazing at 14.99 - though I can't vouch for the quality - pity the range is too short for my friend's garden lighting.

brugnospamsia

like the look of those :-)

... although it might be a problem if the neighbours have them as well - presumably intended for people with detached houses ....

Reply to
brugnospamsia

On 30 Jan 2005 10:09:36 -0800, "Gel" strung together this:

Personally, I'd just leave it plugged in.

A rather simpler method of turning it on and off would be to wire a switch on the underside of the cupboard by dropping a cable down the back.

Reply to
Lurch

Use X10 for the garden lighting? I'm using it to control stuff in my remote garage including floodlights - works great.

Alan.

Reply to
Alan

A long pole? :-)

Reply to
Markus Splenius

Mine does an infuriating and lengthy search after being totally powered down rather than just standby. Have you checked if yours does too?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 12:52:02 +0000, Markus Splenius strung together this:

No, I'm a Yorkshireman.

Reply to
Lurch

of interest, does anybody know if you can get hold of infra red versions of these from anywhere? It would be extremely handy for turning the sub woofer for my surround on and off using my pronto remote

Reply to
Ric

Maplin do a Vellerman kit which is an IR controlled stereo variable attenuator (volume control) - and includes IIRC a mute facility. I'd guess one of those programmable IR controls could be made to operate it - the Vellerman one is sold separately to the kit.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)