Massive variation in quotes for boiler replacement.

Just had 3 quotations for replacing a conventional Baxi system boiler with a Worcestor Bosch combi (30 CDi). The quotes include removing all old and unnecessary pipework, hot water cylinder and loft mounted storage tanks, installing soak-away for condensate, and fitting wireless thermostat and plug-in digital timer.

Quotes are: £2,800, £2885, and........................... £1,900 !

The chap quoting £1,900 was the only one to provide a detailed written quote (the other two just phoned me back), and he is Corgi registered (I've checked out his Corgi ID on the Corgi web-site and it's correct). Clearly I would like to save money and go for the lowest quote but I can't help but be suspicious when his quote is so dramatically cheaper than the other two.

Checking on-line I see that I could buy the boiler (including controls/flue etc) for around £1,000. I don't know how long the job should take but I wouldn't have thought more than a couple of days. With that in mind it does seem to me that a charge for labour of £900 is far more appropriate than £1,885 !!

Any plumbers (or anyone who has recently had a combi conversion) care to comment?

Kev

Reply to
Uno-Hoo!

worth an ask here

in the plumbing section

Reply to
reg

I'll give it a try!

Kev

Reply to
Uno-Hoo!

I had similar work done last May and it cost about 3 grand. It took 2 plumbers working flat out for 3 days. Testing and commissioning took half a day, but would have been a bit less if we hadn't had a power cut. Combis need a larger diameter gas pipe than does a conventional boiler. A new gas pipe had to be run form the meter which is on the front wall of the house to the new boiler which has been installed in a ground floor loft at the back of the house. The total pipe run is about 40 metres. That involved lifting carpets and floorboards in two bedrooms and the landing. All floorboards and carpets were fitted back properly as promised, all holes in plaster and brickwork were filled and all rubbish was removed. If yours really is a two day job then £2,800 and £2,885 seems a bit steep even for two plumbers. It really depends on whether this is a one or two man job and how many days it takes.

Reply to
DIY

what's the going houry rate then for plumbers?

Reply to
AJH
£25-35 +vat?

what's the going houry rate then for plumbers?

Reply to
JT

bearing in mind its not every day u get a boiler job

Reply to
JT

Thanks JT - that's really helpful! The cheapest quoter is quite definitely Corgi registered - I've checked him out on the Corgi web-site so I think I'll give the job to him - although I'll quiz him first on how many combi conversions he's done, and try and check-out how experienced he is.

Kev

Reply to
Uno-Hoo!