Flagstone cleaning

Can anyone recommend something really good for cleaning flagstones?

I've tried the garden-centre algae killers, vinegar, strong detergent, and I don't possess a power-washer and don't really want to buy one just for this.

Is there anything strong and effective I can brush on and rinse off?

Thanks.

Barb

Reply to
Barb

Well, I've just come from a garden centre and I was idly looking at just this stuff (although I didn't note its name!). It says that you just spray it on and leave it. It's preferably done onto dry flags and after a week or two it'll be effective. But as I say, I haven't tried it. I normally use a power washer.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

You can buy them for twenty quid, or so. OK, it won't last as long as a more expensive one, but it will still work out cheaper and heck of a lot less effort than anything else.

Reply to
Palindrome

:-)) My 25 quid one lasted for one job, but it was still cost-effective, even more so when the shop refunded the money.

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

I don't know how ecologically correct this is, but the last time I cleaned some I mixed a strong bleach solution in a bucket, and applied it with a stiff yard brush on damp slabs, this seemed to work successfully.

Reply to
Harry Stottle

Well you could use caustic soda of course it's a bit drastic but v/ quick, just keep pets and children away. Isn't Jeyes Fluid mean't to do that job though?

AJH

I've used one of those pressure washer/spray things that people use for the car. I'm sure you could hire one for £10-15. Worked a treat and was pretty quick. The flags came up really well... as did the sand and cement mix ;) When I moved into the house I didn't know I had different coloured flags until I spray cleaned them. That's how bad they were.

I couldn't say if it's a good method or is just causing issues for the future. You really need to be careful around the edges so not to damage the cement.

Regards,

Tim

Reply to
Tim