Light bulbs

This probably sounds like a really silly question, but I just don't know where to get the right answer.

I tend to use the low-energy light bulbs. The 20W one I have in the hallway is equivilant to a 100W conventional bulb. If I have a lamp shade that takes a maximum bulb of 60W, if I keep the 20W SEB in it, is that ok, or too powerful?

Reply to
Head of Toast

Tiz OK. The shade rating is in consumed watts, not light-equivalent watts.

Reply to
Palindrome

Agreed.

That description is inaccurate, but it will serve. :)

It's the waste heat that's the problem. But that's within 10% of the input rating with either CFLs or incandescent (conventional) lights.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Quoted power figures for light fittings are primarily in consideration of the heat output of conventional bulbs and also in consideration of the capacity of the internal wiring of some fittings. As with low energy bulbs both the heat output and the power requirements are far lower, it's possible to safely use any low energy configuration which will physically fit within the lighting array.

Reply to
Freddy Flopty

A simplification for a non-technical group, rather than an inaccuracy.

So, for the purpose of the answering this particular question, the consumed watts are a good enough guide as to which lamps are acceptable and which not..

-- Sue

Reply to
Palindrome

Now THAT is a proper answer without getting all prisy about technical jargon!

Al

Reply to
Al

Well, I reckon you could drop a 65w CFL into that shade and be OK. OTOH, they probably didn't rate it that carefully - so, Yes. :P

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Yup. Or slightly over-voltage a 60W incandescent and run that at 65w too.. No problem.

BTW, where on Earth do you buy 65W CFLs from? I fear that they cost several pereambulatory and gesticulative appendages...

Reply to
Palindrome

Sue

65W CFLs are alive and well. There are the choice for many a "designer" plant grower where heat may be a problem.

I presume the heat problem is the police helicopter with thermal imaging equipment.

Need I say more?

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

Erm, yes please... Where is a good* place to buy them from?

*aka "cheap".

Unless, of course, purchase is going to result in midnight raids...

Reply to
Palindrome

You already know that you cannot be raided for buying a low energy lamp as not all hydroponics are illegal:-) You do know UK law better than me.

As for cheap then try a wholesalers.

My local police helicopter used it's thermal imaging equipment on a house near me and this resulted in a drugs raid as the loft was "hot". It turned out the poor bugger raided was replacing the lath ceilings for plasterboard and was re-insulating the loft when the police arrived.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth