Dimming Low Energy Lamps

Hi All,

Will low energy bulbs work with dimmer switches?

Reply to
Ian Prideaux

The 'standard' ones no, see

Don.

Reply to
cerberus

I have tried the ones that are supposed to work with a dimmer and they don't. As you dim them they will flash on and off then extinguish completely the same the other way.

I was told that I needed a different kind of dimmer and changed it but that did not work either. I returned the bulbs to the supplier and explained my problem but they did not offer an answer either, they just refunded my money.

When incandescent bulbs are no longer available I think dimmers will be a thing of the past.

Reply to
Dystopia

In most cases - No. A low energy bulb works on the same principle as a fluorescent tube. See:

Using a standard dimmer reduces the flow of electrons between the electrodes to too low a level to maintain light emission of the gas in the tube.

You can *sometimes* get one to work, dependant on the way the dimmer works, by turning the dimmer on full (to strike the bulb) and then dim it down. At around 50% brightness though the preceding paragraph comes into effect once more and the light extinguishes.

You don't say what bulbs you had but I have had success with Osram Dulux EL Dim bulbs.

Reply to
Astral Voyager

The bog standard low energy lamps will not work with dimmers.

There are dimmable low energy lamps available though.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

I purchased a 'dimmable' bulb but it didn't (see previous post). Has anyone really got one that dims properly?

Reply to
Dystopia