Energy-saver bulbs.

Probably a FAQ but here goes...

What is the relative HEAT output from one of these bulbs? I'm presuming a '20W Energy use/100w Brightness' saver bulb puts out little heat and is perfectly safe to use with a '60W Max' dangly paper lampshade.

But wanted to check... :+/

Reply to
Mark Wood

When you consider the 60W Max, you can consider it to be actually 60W. You are unlikely to get a CFL bulb considerably more than 20W, so all CFL bulbs would be suitable, provided it physically fits within the space available.

You can hold a 20W CFL bulb in your hand when fully up to temperature, although it will be pretty hot. It won't burn or scorch paper, though.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

About 6-8W or so comes out of them as light, the remaining as heat. Maybe half the heat comes from the ballast, and half from the tube. The surface temperature of the tube is often around 100C.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

They don't get anywhere near as hot as an incandescent bulb so you should be ok.

Reply to
Malc

Think of the filament lamp rating as the maximum input 60W of energy turned into heat. So provided what ever you put in there has a rating less than 60W you are safe.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Ballasts are quite efficient nowadays. Most heat comes from the tube, where a number of laws of physics still contrive to severely limit the efficiency.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Think that incandescent bulbs are about 1% efficeint, so 60W bulb is about 59.5W heat.

Think the energy ones are about 3 times trhat - so maybe 3 rtimes as efficeint, at 3%, so 20W in abouty 19watts out...

They bulb makers lie buy the way. I have 60W lights and 60W equivalent, outside, and I'd say the 60W bulbs are ten times brighter.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Fluorescents don't like the cold.

Reply to
Rob Morley

My outside ones eventually come up to full output. Or certainly near it, compared to a 'hot' day. But they're the large type with an extra outer envelope, as you can see the bulb and I think these look better. Perhaps this provides some insulation.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thinking about it, you're right. Fluorescant tubes aren't too bad, even an ideal light source that took in electricity and emitted white light, with no waste heat would only be about twice as bright. (the yellow street-light is nearly that efficient, but only does yellow.)

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Same is true indoors, the XXW equivalent are not as bright as XXW filament bulbs, at least not any brand I've used so far.

Reply to
bangbangchicken

I think you know better than that! In order-of-magnitude terms, incandescents are about 10% efficient.

The ratio's about right - compact flourescents 3-4 times as efficient (though the mfrs like to pretend it's about 5 times) - but that gives actual efficiency as 30-40%. Of course, as that light hits other surfaces (whether the lightshade or the things it's illuminating in the rest of the room), much of it gets absorbed, heating up the absorbee. As Kenneth Williams nearly said - "entropy, entropy, they've all got it entropy" ;-)

Reply to
Stefek Zaba

stuffed heads, and some loose crawfish, lobster, long piglet, or what have you. Cook on low for 15 minutes, then allow it to set for at least 15 minutes more. Serve over steamed rice; this dish is very impressive!

Stuffed Cabbage Rolls

Babies really can be found under a cabbage leaf - or one can arrange for ground beef to be found there instead.

8 large cabbage leaves 1 lb. lean ground newborn human filets, or ground chuck Onions peppers celery garlic soy sauce salt pepper, etc Olive oil breadcrumbs Tomato Gravy (see index)

Boil the cabbage leaves for 2 minutes to soften. In skillet, brown the meat in a little olive oil, then add onions, peppers, and celery (all chopped finely) and season well. Place in a large bowl and cool. Add seasoned breadcrumbs and a little of the tomato gravy, enough to make the mixture pliable. Divide the stuffing among the cabbage leaves then roll. Place seam down in a baking pan. Ladle tomato gravy on top, and bake at 325° for 30 - 45 minutes.

Umbilical Cordon Bleu

Nothing is so beautiful as the bond between mother and child, so why not consume it? Children or chicken breasts will work wonderfully also.

4 whole umbilical chords (or baby breasts, or chicken breasts) 4 thin slices of smoked ham, and Gruyere cheese Flour eggwash (milk and eggs) seasoned bread crumbs 1 onion minced salt pepper butter olive oil

Pound the breasts flat (parboil first if using umbilical cords so they won?t be tough). Place a slice of ham and cheese on each, along with some minced onion then fold in half, trimming neatly. Dredge in flour, eggwash, then seasoned breadcrumbs; allow to sit for a few minutes. Sauté in butter and olive oil until golden brown, about 6 minutes on each side.

Shish Kababes

As old as the hills, this te

Reply to
Ian Stirling

No, fluorescents are about 15-25% efficient. However there is nothing to beat them at the price yet. Most LED's are pushing sub ten percent at best.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No. They are not anything LIKE that efficient.

1% is a typical figure I believe with halogens maybe 2%.

I was wrong on fluoros - they are - or should be - around 15% efficient, but I stand by teh 1-3% off incandescent.

I suspect enbergy efficent bulbs are no way as efficient as e.g. factory strip lights.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

100lm/W is a typical sticker figure found for fluorescent lights. This is 'white'. As lumens is a unit of brightness, and at 550nm (green), it's 700lm/W. But, for white light, it's lots less than this, as sensitivity in blue and red is quite poor (but needed for colour rendition).

IIRC, it's around 300-200, depending on how close you want to get to sunlight, so that'd put it at around 30-50%.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

each, along with some minced onion then fold in half, trimming neatly. Dredge in flour, eggwash, then seasoned breadcrumbs; allow to sit for a few minutes. Sauté in butter and olive oil until golden brown, about 6 minutes on each side.

Shish Kababes

As old as the hills, this technique has employed seafood, beef, pork, lamb, poultry, and vegetables; just about anything can be grilled, and young humans are no exception!

High quality marinade (Teriyaki and garlic perhaps)

1 inch cubes of tender meat, preferably from the nursery Onions bell peppers Wooden or metal skewers

Marinate the meat overnight. Get the grill good and hot while placing meat, vegetables, and fruit such as pineapples or cherries on the skewers. Don?t be afraid to use a variety of meats. Grill to medium rare, serve with garlic cous-cous and sautéed asparagus. Coffee and sherbet for desert then walnuts, cheese, and port. Cigars for the gentlemen (and ladies if they so desire)!

Crock-Pot Crack Baby

When the quivering, hopelessly addicted crack baby succumbs to death, get him immediately butchered and into the crock-pot, so that any

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

potatoes, turnips, cauliflower, cabbage...) Bell pepper onions garlic ginger salt pepper, etc. Olive oil butter

Brown the meat and some chopped onions, peppers, and garilic in olive oil, place in baking dish, layer with vegetables seasoning and butter. Bake at 325° for 30 - 45 minutes. Serve with hot dinner rolls, fruit salad and sparkling water.

Bébé Buffet 1

Show off with whole roasted children replete with apples in mouths - and babies? heads stuffed with wild rice. Or keep it simple with a hearty main course such as stew, lasagna, or meat loaf.

Some suggestions

Pre-mie pot pies, beef stew, leg of lamb, stuffed chicken, roast pork spiral ham, Cranberry pineapple salad, sweet potatoes in butter, vegetable platter, tossed salad with tomato and avocado, parsley new potatoes, spinich cucumber salad, fruit salad Bran muffins, dinner rolls, soft breadsticks, rice pilaf, croissants Apple cake with rum sauce, frosted banana nut bread sherbet, home made brownies Iced tea, water, beer, bloody marys, lemonade, coffee

The guests select food, beve

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

lampshade.

A 60w rated fitting can take a cfl of anything upto 60w. But that's not the whole story: the cfl bulb itself will not always work successfully. CFLs dont like enclosed spaces that warm up, so in enclosed lights sometimes the max power rating for the proper working of the bulb can be a lot lower. Dimming and early failure are the problems.

Many cfls wont behave when used outdoors in the cold, some will. For that you need to select a type suitable for the job. I hear Philips SL series work well outdoors.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Think that's what I've got - looks a bit like an ordinary, but large, bulb. They do come up to full output even in the cold - like last night - but take some time.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)