Energy saver versions of MR16 halogens

I need to get some 12V MR16 halogen bulbs. There seem to be three main choices:

  1. Standard 50W versions - cheap and plentiful, but use a lot of energy.
  2. 35W "Energy Saver" versions that claim to give the same light as a
50W with a longer life.
  1. LED versions - New and very expensive.

LED seems too expensive and untried at the moment, so I'm considering the 35W energy saver versions. The problem is no one gives any lux figures for halogens, so it's difficult to compare the light output.

I've seen versions by philips and osram. I guess other manufacturers have their own versions as well.

Does anyone have any views on these, and if there are differences between the various manufacturers?

Reply to
Caecilius

Well FWIW I've just installed a couple of 12V MR16s from Toolstation:

these are 28W masquerading as 35W allegedly - as far as I can see they do appear as bright as I'd expect for 35W bulbs

hth David

Reply to
Lobster

Energy saving halogens have redesigned optics and or Infra Red reflecting lamp envelopes that keep more of the heat in at the filament boosting efficiency.

All the major makers have a version, really a case of trialing them to see what you prefer, Philips make some very nice lamps but can be a very premium price, personally not a big Osram Sylvania fan, GE have various ranges as well.

Cost of powerful MR16 LED makes it a very expensive option unless you are running large amounts for long periods , halogen still better option in a lot of situations.

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

TLC do a 20 watt version too. I replaced the 50 watt ones in my hallway with those and the lack of much difference surprised me.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

These look like yet another type of MR16 - as cheap as the regular ones, 20% more efficient (as opposed to 30% for the more expensive philips and osram ones), and with a shorter claimed life than the standard bulbs (1000 hours as opposed to 2000 hours).

Reply to
Caecilius

One parameter that it is worth looking at, depending upon your installation, is beam angle. I tend to go for as wide an angle as I can obtain, to get more even coverage.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon