bathroom extractor fan backdraught flaps

Bought a "low noise extractor fan" from Wickes today, and installed it in the corner of the ceiling of our en-suite (approx 4'x6', no windows) to replace the one that was broken. It was a bit of a pig to do as the cables in the ceiling weren't very long and by necessity there was no lighting in there.

The fan is this one:

the pamphlet in detail afterwards, it appears I should have removed the backdraught flaps when installing in a ceiling location, which I haven't done. Will there be enough air flow to keep the flaps open, as obviously the air will be fighting against gravity which wouldn't be the case in a wall installation? Otherwise I'll have to take the lot down and start again :(

Reply to
Carl

Well as you've installed it, surely just suck-it-and-see?

Since the installation instructions specifically counsel removing the flaps for ceiling installation, it doesn't sound great though, does it?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Surely the question is whether it will actually suck it though?

Indeed, but I'm hoping they were written for a higher gravity environment.

Reply to
Carl

In my experience, stuff usually sucks ...

Nick

Reply to
Nick Leverton

I guess in this instance, its blow it and see?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Test how well it is extracting with a sheet of paper. If it will hold a sheet of paper against the inlet it is extracting air.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

Nice tip. I tried this and it worked, so I guess I won't worry about the flaps.

Reply to
Carl