Polycarbonate conservatory roof cleaning?

Hi All,

The conservatory roof in our new house looks like it hasnt been cleaned for years. Its covered in green algae and clumps of lichens. Intitially I will give it a blast with a pressure washer at the weekend, however can anybody recommend a cleaning solution that is capable of removing the algal growths without damaging the roof if power washing doesnt work?

Thanks, Matthew

Reply to
Matthew

Spouse simply sweeps our carport roof with a brush and mains water through the garden hose.

It's a long area and spans two drives. He has to get up there to do it but since he built it he's confident of its weight bearing properties.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Be cautious with use of pressure washer it can and will penetrate any poorly sealed area. If you can obtain some Traffic Film Remover also known as Truck Wash - diluted and sprayed over algae etc leave for 10 mins and hose it can be very effective.

PhilC

Reply to
PhilC

Not a solution to your immediate problem, but I've heard that algae doesn't like copper so perhaps a discrete length of copper wire that will slowly dissolve in acidic rain might be a long-term prevention idea? I'm planning on running a length along the ridge of my house, but fear that it might attract lightning. Perhaps on a conservatory it won't be so bad!

Mungo

Reply to
Mungo

Si - it won't ATTRACT lightning!

Lightning conductors aren't there to attract it but safely to run the power away.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Would that be covered by Part P ;-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Sssssh ......... don't let Them hear you ...........

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I bought an Algea Killer from my local Garden Centre. Got none left so I cannot tell you the name off hand. It is in a white plastic container with a yellow label. Dilute to taste. Non bitumen Non Acid type. Excellent stuff. One application has kept my plastic garden furniture free of algea for a couple of years now. Also excellent on concrete and brick. Bit expensive.

Reply to
Merryterry