I have a long path and patio which are covered in algae, they look awful and
are slippery. I pressure-wash them fortnightly with ordinary detergent but
the algae starts coming back within days. Does anyone know of either a
home-made recipe for removing algae and preventing re-growth, or a
commercial product that's available in one of the main DIY outlets (B&Q,
Homebase, Focus, Wickes etc)? I don't mind cleaning it off once more as long
as there is something I can put down to stop it returning.
Thanks for any help!
I think the commercial growers use a product called Abicide 82 for moss and
so forth, algae is a different story, generally in very wet conditions like
almost running water. If it realy is algae and not moss you might be able to
kill it for once and for all with a dressing of powdered lime? depends on
the eco system you are trying to destroy. Might be worth doing some
googling, or asking the RHS at a local flower show.
You cant get Abicide in the likes of B&Q, but a good garden centre might be
ale to get it. We last got some form a commercial garden supplier
(Birkenhead, Wirral, but there must be others depending on where you live.
Or try www.palacechemicals.co.uk/Cleaners.htm
This link suggests that Abicide is what you want, but i cant vouch from
experience with algae, it does work on moss though.
Ah...that MAY be why I got a huge red algal bloom (thought it was
blood!)in the puddles on my sandstone after I brick acid-ed it..:-)
So it don't like alkali?
Bleach or caustic then. Lime will ruin the appearance..
I use a product called Dax Fungo.
It is expensive but superb and last about 12 months on my patio. It
also does well on my garden furniture and keeps it clean for about the
same length of time.
I have no connection with this company. Just a satisfied user.
When I was at fish camp (remote fish processing village on the west coast of
Canada) we found the wooden docks to be very slippery. The companies
solution was to put salt down on the docks. That cured the algae from
forming. You could try a small section to compare with the other solutions
provided from other people. Salt is cheap but leaves a white film.
I hope you find a satisfactory solution.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.