Patio Black Spot Remover

Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience of this stuff?

th=60&product_id=54

By way of background it is intended to remove highly persistent black funga l growth from Indian sandstone paving. I've got some in my back garden, and the black spots have started to appear. They do disfigure the look of the stone, and they multiply each year. I've tried high-powered pressure washin g and ordinary moss-and-mould-killing type of stuff - nothing will shift th e black spots, and this is the general experience reported by others from a bit of internet research. Indian sandstone is particularly prone to it for some reason.

The stuff in the link claims to do the trick. The reviews on the website al l give it five out of five - well there's a surprise! It costs roughly the same as malt whisky, which is fairly horrendous for a cleaning product. If it works it will be worthwhile, because the alternative will be relaying th e patio with something less prone to black spots.

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

growth from Indian sandstone paving. I've got some in my back garden, and the black spots have started to appear. They do disfigure the look of the stone, and they multiply each year. I've tried high-powered pressure washing and ordinary moss-and-mould-killing type of stuff - nothing will shift the black spots, and this is the general experience reported by others from a bit of internet research. Indian sandstone is particularly prone to it for some reason.

give it five out of five - well there's a surprise! It costs roughly the same as malt whisky, which is fairly horrendous for a cleaning product. If it works it will be worthwhile, because the alternative will be relaying the patio with something less prone to black spots.

Try Jeyes' fluid.

I haven't tried i myself - I put up with a few varieties of lichen. Breaks up the monotony.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

path=60&product_id=54

gal growth from Indian sandstone paving. I've got some in my back garden, a nd the black spots have started to appear. They do disfigure the look of th e stone, and they multiply each year. I've tried high-powered pressure wash ing and ordinary moss-and-mould-killing type of stuff - nothing will shift the black spots, and this is the general experience reported by others from a bit of internet research. Indian sandstone is particularly prone to it f or some reason.

all give it five out of five - well there's a surprise! It costs roughly th e same as malt whisky, which is fairly horrendous for a cleaning product. I f it works it will be worthwhile, because the alternative will be relaying the patio with something less prone to black spots.

To reply to my own question, in case anyone else searches for this, I've be en tinkering around over the last couple of days. I couldn't quite bring my self to pay £15 a litre for something to spray around the patio. I've fou nd that bleach removes the fungal growth completely, and generally cleans u p the patio very nicely. Thin cheap bleach doesn't really do it. I've ended up using proper thick Domestos which has worked really well. It's at the u pper end of the bleach price range, but a fraction of the cost of the stuff on the website (I wonder if they just repackage Domestos). I did it over t he cool humid days we've just had in London, so the bleach didn't dry for a ges, which probably helped. I think putting it on a hot patio so that it dr ys quickly might not work so well.

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

[...]

yes. I spilt some brick acid on my sandstone and it looked like rivers of blood. Some RED lichen colonised.

The black seems to like mildly acidic conditions and alkali gets em both.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

some reason.

I've just remembered having some left over dairy Sodium hypochlorite. What would that do to Lichens?

AFAIK dairy use was 0.25-1%

Reply to
Tim Lamb

t&path=60&product_id=54

[...]

Yes I have found a combination of bleach and vinegar the only answer to mo ss growing on tarmacadam. Initially I found a source of cold water bleach a s used by laundries but have since discovered chlorine tablets which are ch eaper if a bit of a hassle to dissolve.

Reply to
fred

path=60&product_id=54

gal growth from Indian sandstone paving. I've got some in my back garden, a nd the black spots have started to appear. They do disfigure the look of th e stone, and they multiply each year. I've tried high-powered pressure wash ing and ordinary moss-and-mould-killing type of stuff - nothing will shift the black spots, and this is the general experience reported by others from a bit of internet research. Indian sandstone is particularly prone to it f or some reason.

all give it five out of five - well there's a surprise! It costs roughly th e same as malt whisky, which is fairly horrendous for a cleaning product. I f it works it will be worthwhile, because the alternative will be relaying the patio with something less prone to black spots.

The Black Spots originate from black lichen spores, and have a two year ger mination period. They originate from the trees and arrive on your terrace o r garden stonework assisted by the wind. Initially they are not visible to the human eye, but , assisted by the damp and humid conditions, they feed off the minerals in the stonework. After two years plus, they anchor themselves, growing deeper in their searc h for minerals, growing both across the stone and deeper into it, hence the reason they cannot be removed by the use of a pressure washer. The Patio Black Spot Removal system not only kills the Patio Black spots, b ut the Patio Black Spot Preventer will kill any new spores year on year. further, the Patio Black Spot Remover brings back and enhances the original colours of the Indian Sandstone. Never mind being more expensive than Malt Whiskey, it works out at less tha n 3% of the cost of newly laid Indian Sandstone and less than 1% of the cos t of Yorkstone per square metre. Surely a small price to pay? If you have an Indian Sandstone or York stone Terrace or Artificial Stone, this is a system, proven in the market place which will keep away those Bl ack Spots forever. If you have new Indian Sandstone or Yorkstone, buy the Preventer now and st op the Patio Black Spots before they start. Rejoice in a Great New British Company, with thousands of satisfied users, which has successfully allayed the problem of Patio Black Spots throughout the World. Remember , The Best is ALWAYS cheapest in the long run

Reply to
simon.essex

ermination period. They originate from the trees and arrive on your terrace or garden stonework assisted by the wind.

mp and humid conditions, they feed off the minerals in the stonework.

rch for minerals, growing both across the stone and deeper into it, hence t he reason they cannot be removed by the use of a pressure washer.

but the Patio Black Spot Preventer will kill any new spores year on year.

al colours of the Indian Sandstone.

han 3% of the cost of newly laid Indian Sandstone and less than 1% of the c ost of Yorkstone per square metre.

e, this is a system, proven in the market place which will keep away those Black Spots forever.

stop the Patio Black Spots before they start.

, which has successfully allayed the problem of Patio Black Spots throughou t the World.

Hi Simon,

I'm the original poster. Thanks for the explanation of the black spots. Wha t you say makes sense, and I'd certainly agree that trying to remove them v ia the annual pressure wash just became a frustrating experience, because i t made no difference to them at all. I would just end up with nice clean st one with all grime removed, which just made the black spots all the more ap parent.

I certainly was not trying to undermine a new British company, and good luc k to you. However, in the interests of saving money for those who look here I have to report that after a summer since my domestos exercise the black spots are still completely gone and the stones still look as good as when t hey were first laid. Based on how long it took the spots to appear in the f irst place I would guess that I won't have to repeat the exercise for four or five years, and doing it at the same time as the annual pressure wash wo uld not exactly be a hardship, and would cost me no more than £30 for the entire patio.

Cheers!

Martin

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

I wonder why they do not include inhibitor in the mix when they make the stones though?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

In message , Brian Gaff writes

I think a dose of Glysophate also does the job but you need to consider where the washings will end up.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Donno, maybe they didn't realise black spot would be a problem 300 odd million years ago when the York Stone sandstones were laid down?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

well, there was so much sulphur in the air, black spot didn't exit.

Reply to
charles

You use these as a combination ? .... surely they will just cancel each other out acid + alkali = neutral

or do you apply separately with a rinse in between ?

Reply to
Rick Hughes

If these two are applied to the patio simultaneously, it isn't so much the act of 'cancelling each other put' that is important, but what happens during that process. The acid liberates chlorine atoms from the bleach - called 'nascent chlorine' in my schoolboy days - which are highly reactive; it would seem that it is these that perform the killing-off of the biological growth.

There was a TV series recently about people who keep their houses spotless, one woman using two bottles of bleach a day. In one of the programmes she said she mixed bleach with (something I didn't catch the name of) and claimed that its cleaning power was better than either product used on its own. I'll wager that was 'nascent chlorine' too.

Word of warning: if you have no experience of this, *don't do it*. Follow the instructions on your cleaning products.

*Chlorine gas is nasty*.

Just found on

"Nascent

adjective

coming into being; being born beginning to form, start, grow, or develop: said of ideas, cultures, etc. CHEM. designating or of the state of an element just released from a compound and having unusual chemical activity because atoms of the element have not combined to form molecules: nascent chlorine"

Reply to
Terry Fields

HG Mould Spray might well work.

The Medway Handyman

gal growth from Indian sandstone paving. I've got some in my back garden, a nd the black spots have started to appear. They do disfigure the look of th e stone, and they multiply each year. I've tried high-powered pressure wash ing and ordinary moss-and-mould-killing type of stuff - nothing will shift the black spots, and this is the general experience reported by others from a bit of internet research. Indian sandstone is particularly prone to it f or some reason.

all give it five out of five - well there's a surprise! It costs roughly th e same as malt whisky, which is fairly horrendous for a cleaning product. I f it works it will be worthwhile, because the alternative will be relaying the patio with something less prone to black spots.

Bleach is 15p a litre. It needs very long soak times though, 10s of hours.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

If I can hijack the motto of the man from the Black Spot company, you get w hat you pay for. The Domestos that I used cost a fair bit more than the no- name, 15p-a-litre stuff, but it shifted the spots within 30 mins and they'v e stayed shifted all summer. I'm guessing the cheap stuff is chemically the same as Domestos, just much more dilute.

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

On Wednesday, September 11, 2013 11:18:54 PM UTC+1, Martin Pentreath wrote:

to buy, will get rid of the Patio Black Spots, is both misleading and to mi sunderstand where they come from and how they grow. Its the same as implying that, if you can use a spade , you are a landscape gardener! That's not meant to be facetious, but it's true! It is also to contradict literally hundreds of clients all over the UK who have tried the "household remedies" and those stocked by Garden Centres, Ho mebase, B & Q of Over the years, that were on the verge of taking up and re placing the stone, before contacting us as a last resort. I have run a Stone Masonry and Stone cleaning business for the best part of 30 years and have worked all over the World as both a contractor and speci alist consultant, including devising a system of removing the black deposit s from Jordanian Marble after the first Iraq War, when everyone else went o ver there with acid! So starting from a point of fairly vast experience, The R & D carried out b efore bringing both types of "Patio Black Spot Remover" to the Market took some three years, added to my own personal knowledge. In addition, we utili sed the input from existing longstanding Clients. To get to where we are, we tested EVERYTHING, and I mean everything, on the Market, including all the proprietary brands stocked by Garden Centres, H omeBase, B&Q and so on. If you have a few "black spots" , depending on how long they have been ther e, bleach may lighten them, but they will not begin to kill them, or, indee d revive the original colours of the stone work, which , of course, "Patio Black Spot Remover" does. In addition, the whole PATIO BLACK SPOT REMOVAL system is designed to not j ust to restore stonework, but cut back on pressure washing, the very action of which will open the pores of the stone, and make it a breeding ground f or all Lichen, algae, fungi and so on. If you really do have serious "Patio Black Spots", consider the above care fully. It is the reason why we are, currently, the only Company both in the UK and indeed the World, who sell the ONLY Solution available for Patio Black Spo t Removal. It is also the reason that we have umpteen excellent reviews, from all over the UK , by both DIY users and other contented Clients, I trust this helps?

what you pay for. The Domestos that I used cost a fair bit more than the n o-name, 15p-a-litre stuff, but it shifted the spots within 30 mins and they 've stayed shifted all summer. I'm guessing the cheap stuff is chemically t he same as Domestos, just much more dilute.

Reply to
simon.essex

To update this thread (mainly for the Google archive, see:

)

I've just done my annual pressure wash and the thick domestos which I used this time last year has proved to be entirely successful in having eradicat ed the fungal black spots and kept them eradicated for a year. I say this m ainly because the man from the black spot company (who was trying to sell w hat I suspect is vastly overpriced bleach) had had a rather transparent str ategy of undermining the vastly cheaper DIY alternative!

Unless you're made of money I'd strongly suggest giving the normal domestos a go before coughing up for the luxury version!

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

Hi , I have the same problem and I'm looking for a solution and read this t hread . how did you apply the bleach please ? Diluted with water or just ne at ? And did you brush it on ? Or did u really scrub ? Or literally just sp ray on and leave ? Thanks Steve .

Reply to
biggerstevo