Deck cleaning, protectant

I have a 1 year old pressure treated deck, that is in need of cleaning and protected. I have heard not to pressure wash. What cleaner and sealer is the best quality?

Reply to
Steve

I use the Behr deck wash (green bottle) with a bucket and stiff brush. Wash down with garden hose/jet nozzle (not power washer!). Let dry 24 hrs. Apply Behr silicone based deck stain or paint with foam pad. Let dry 24 hrs for light foot traffic, 48 for furniture and heavy use.

--Jeff

Reply to
JB

I use the following:

1/2 cup TSP 3/4 cup household bleach warm water

Stir the TSP in about 1/2 gallon of warm water for 2 minutes or until completely dissolved. Stir in the bleach and add warm water to make 1 gallon in a garden sprayer.

Clean a 4x4 section at a time. Spray on and use a long-handled brush. After 5 minutes rinse off using a garden hose. Wear protective clothing and rubber gloves. The TSP is a very harsh detergent and will strip the natural oils from your skin.

Wait 5-10 days for the deck to completely dry. Apply Cabot's Decking stain (~$32/gal). It comes in several colors. If you have algae or mildew issues you can add a packet of mildewcide to the stain. Your deck should look good for 2-3 years without any other application.

Reply to
Phisherman