Glass bathroom worksurface

I'm in the middle of renovating my ensuite and am looking into fitting a glass worksurface on top of the boxing-in that covers my pipework. It's about 150mm deep and 1.6m wide. I like the idea of translucent green glass, quite thick, with bevelled edges. Does anyone have any advice on the practicalities of this? I would plan to bed it into silicon sealant for flexibility, but am worried about the effect that the bedding material would have on the appearance of the surface. Can glass be obtained with some sort of impervious (or even mirrored) backing, that would prevent the bedding material from showing through? I suppose it could just be painted (not sure what kind of paint), but if there's a better solution out there, please let me know. TIA Steve

Reply to
stephenmwilson

It's entirely practical, depending on the helpfulness of your glass supplier. Some are big enough to have an on-site edge grinder, small enough to bother talking to people for an "awkward" one-off. But there are an awful lot that are a real waste of time trying to get non-standard work out of them. If you're near Bristol, I can recommend Roman Glass on Stokes Croft.

Thick glass isn't cheap, but it's plenty strong enough.

Mirror is quite a good idea, although there may be dazzle problems from the ceiling lights. Personally I'd turn it into a black mirror instead, using plain glass with a coating of tar on the back (Roofing bitumen, hard gilsonite from Liberon and real turpentine, melted over a double boiler).

Reply to
Andy Dingley

No, the one I have was made for me. I'm just about to do a few more though, as black mirrors - shaving mirors for vampires. Because there's no silver in them, vampires and werewolves are OK with using them. Some of a more witchy disposition reckon they can be used for scrying, in a John Dee style.

(I am _entirely_ serious.)

Reply to
Andy Dingley