Have British Gas (BG) recommended a good heating system for me.

BG have quoted to replace hot air heating system with a wet system and I really would be grateful for opinions on whether it sounds a good system (is the boiler any good). They said could not have sealed system as mains water pipe is too small and so need header tank in loft. Recommended a British Gas 330 boiler which I think might be Glow Worm HXi. Our house is a 4 bed 70's style detached (its not a mansion!).

BG quoted =A37100 for British Gas 330 boiler (condensing), 10 radiators and a towel rail (6ft towel rail sounded a bit excessive in our small bathroom!), new water cylinder, radio controlled thermostat in hall, thermostat on each radiator except the hall one, digital controller box.

We are changing the system for two reasons. Firstly people seem to be against hot air heating and we are worried about future resale (especially with the new seller packs and all that). Secondly we want to add an extension and it is not easy to extend the hot air system (so Johnson & Starley say). BG salesman said the boiler would take another three radiators ok.

The sales man said that the engineers would make good all the floor boards that they take up - the small print says that it is the customers responsibility to make good!

I am sorry for all the waffle but really would appreciate views from those that knows - many many thanks.

Reply to
HelpDiy

Search the archives, for british gas, then run away a mile.

Reply to
Googlebot

I can't comment on the boiler, but please get some other quotes as well. BG are notorious for being expensive and also for not adapting their 'standard' systems to teh benefit of the customer. Remember, they are no longer the 'gas board' and subcontract the work anyway.

We had a BG quote last year for replacement boiler and a few other things. In my opinion they mis-sized the boiler (all the other quotes got it right) and I think this may have been because they would have had to upgrade some extra gas piping.

Their quote was £3875 (but with a 'discount' for no apparent reason) which made it £3275. Two other quotes were £1948 and £1880 (the latter for slightly less work). I took the £1948, the work was done at once, and the standard was very high. My experience of BG in the past has sometimes been quite bad.

Reply to
Bob Eager

BG quoted £7100 for British Gas 330 boiler (condensing), 10 radiators and a towel rail (6ft towel rail sounded a bit excessive in our small bathroom!), new water cylinder, radio controlled thermostat in hall, thermostat on each radiator except the hall one, digital controller box.

We are changing the system for two reasons. Firstly people seem to be against hot air heating and we are worried about future resale (especially with the new seller packs and all that). Secondly we want to add an extension and it is not easy to extend the hot air system (so Johnson & Starley say). BG salesman said the boiler would take another three radiators ok.

The sales man said that the engineers would make good all the floor boards that they take up - the small print says that it is the customers responsibility to make good!

I am sorry for all the waffle but really would appreciate views from those that knows - many many thanks.

Vastly overpriced. I bet it was a sales person on commission trying to flog you that. I bet he offered finance too. What they will do is charge you about 3 times too much and get a subcontractor in instead. Look elsewhere unless you have made a decision to be ripped off.

Reply to
bronco

First of all you need to get a couple more quotes and then look at the numbers. Almost certainly BG will be significantly more expensive. Be aware that just because BG has quoted doen't mean "BG" will install, almost certainly a subcontractor. One thing I notice at least they have quoted a hot water cylinder. Others may quote a combi which is intrinsically cheaper. Make sure you understand the limitations of a combi system, especially with poor mains water flow.

Installation is not straightforward in a furnished house. Make sure the responsibilities for moving furniture, lifting and relaying carpets, the location of radiators and the routing of pipework to radiator is clearly spelled out in any contract. I think that is as important as the numbers. I would also suggest not going for a rebadged boiler such as BG has suggested. Chose a known brand and pencil in the same manufacturers maintenance contract in your budget. Your local plumbers merchants will be able to tell you what brand of boiler local installers are (currently) favouring.

The proposed BG spec seems "OK" as a starting point. Get a towel rail catalogue from the plumbers merchants and decide how space you require to hang your towels. The 6ft one will be bl**dy expensive.

HTH

Jim A

Reply to
Jim Alexander

Thanks for the responses. In answer to the last post SEVEN THOUSAND AND HOW MUCH. I only got this quote today and I certainly won't be handing over my dosh to BG. Going to get further quotes next week.

I think the BG salesman realised he was on to a loser when my wife passed out and fell off the chair. I had of course asked her to do this as part of my negotiating tactics but as it turned out she didn't have to fake it so to speak!

[...]

NewDiy

Ours realised that before he came in the door. I told him he was one of five people quoting, and that he had half an hour. At this point he said "Oh, you have to go out?" I said: "No, you've just got half an hour". I really only got him in to have fun and find out if what I had heard was true!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Cruel but he should have qualified you first by suggesting how long the meeting might take and getting your agreement to that when arranging the appointment.

To top it off, he demonstrates an assumption of getting your business, or at least being in pole position for it by thinking that the only reason that the meeting would be shorter than would suit him is because you were going out.

Reply to
Andy Hall

If I were you I would get 3 more quotes and not use BG at all. If that system is OK a local firm will do it cheaper, which is what BG will do and take at least 2 grand for their commission. Also visit

DIY

I feel I must preak up in support of British Gas here.

I've used them twice in Oxfordshire and found them helpfull, knowledgeable and competetive. Their work was carried out when they said and to a high standard. The fitters were helpfull and worked hard. I priced them against other suppliers and they came out best on both occasions. I must admit I was surprised by this having heard the tales but now I would use them again willingly (after competetively pricing again of course).

John

Reply to
John

I feel I must speak up in support of British Gas here.

I've used them twice to replace CH boilers here in Oxfordshire. On both occasions they gave the best price. Their staff were knowledgeable and helpfull. The installers arrived on time and worked hard. All in all they did a good job and I find it difficult to fault them. When I told the fitter who replaced my own boiler that I was intending to fit a gass range cooker, he oversized the gas pipe to allow for it in future. Really good service.

Don't let a few bad cases spoil the whole large organisation. Like all such companies, BG are only as good as their staff and these will vary across the country. Of course, their good work rarely gets publicised.

John

Reply to
John

Oops Sorry for the double post. My mistake.

Reply to
John

Hello Sado!

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

I wouldn't let BG tell me which way is up.

Reply to
Huge

If it's a 70's house,the mains pressure should be fine, he's ripping the p!$$.

not bad, only overpriced by about five grand.

He's bound to say this.

He's bound to say this.

BG contract their work out to other installers, so you may as well cut out the middleman and get a different installer from the start....there's one around here that does a new condensing Glow worm boiler and 6 rads with TRV's fitted in one day for £1800 + vat...you should be looking at about

2.5k approx.
Phil L

Pressure and flow rate are very different. My house was built in

60's/70's (not too sure exactly which). The mains pressure is fine but our flow rate is quite low. It's on my list of things to investigate so not too sure why yet.

It depends on the amount of work involved. It sounds rather high at first sight but the only way to check is to get real quotes.

Extending a hot air system isn't easy. Ducts are bigger and more difficult to install than pipes. If the salesman says a boiler will run the extra radiators, he's working from tables based on maufacturers data and typical heat losses for houses of that age.

I would certainly get this confirmed in writing. It's a normal exclusion since some removals may not be reversible.

Those are normally extras.

I would be wary of prices such as these. If they are so good, why does the customer have to contact them for a quote? They are frequently unrealistically low designed to attract interest. How many jobs have they done for that price? Again, the only way to compare prices is to get multiple quotes for exactly the same work.

I've just noticed the type of boiler the O/P is suggesting. FWIW, we've had one of those and it's broken every year for three years. PC board failed, valve block split and PC board fuse blew.

John

Reply to
John

Have a look through the BoilerChoice FAQ.

Measure or get measured the mains water pressure. You almost certainly have enough pressure for a sealed primary system (see FAQ), which is not the same as an unvented hot water system (which most houses don't have a good enough supply for).

I think many independents would _probably_ charge you no more than £5000 and possible somewhat less. Making good included.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

The price is a bit scary IMHO

Reply to
Psst

Are you the OP?

Get a quote for a couple of en suites if you are thinking of selling. It's daft to consider replumbing the house without thinking about a valuable upgrade like that.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

im amazed at how many "experts" knock british gas quotes when they havent seen the actual contents of the quote, a few pointers.. direct labour can be specified by the customer... the quote will include free home care... the 330 boiler has substantial upgrades.. vat is included because british gas cant "do a discount for cash" and then forget to declare the vat.the radiators have extended warranty. the engineers wont piss in your water tanks (ever see watchdog ?).. the boilers that are supplied have a parts availability guarantee.. the engineers wont suddenly disappear half way through the job or once they have your cash. ive seen british gas jobs completed and ive seen independent jobs completed. enough said.

Reply to
nickbates1