Hospitals

As it will if Corbyn gets into power and wipes out the UK economy.

Add on the loss of potentially all the existing 29% of total income tax that the top 1% of earners pay and the public services are toast.

Reply to
Andrew

You don't actually expect it to be true do you? There are several people in this thread that I think are making stuff up.

At least with the vacuum system you can tell if the needle has gone in the vein before trying to extract blood.

Its also somewhat cheaper than having disposable syringes and still having to fill the little tubes from it. The blood is no good in a syringe as some need preservatives and some don't. For someone thats worked in a path lab andrew doesn't appear to remember much about it. Was it an Australian lab I wonder?

Reply to
invalid

True. We'll all be driving Ubers servicing the rich Arabs and Chinese who will snap up all the best properties for peanuts. Like they've done with what industry we had left.

But it will be a win win for some.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Round here, the council jacks up the on street parking charges to match the hospital car parks. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Its also bad news if you have to have 14 vacutainers worth of samples like my daughter did last year. Its going to be a right pain putting a syringe in someone's arm many times to extract enough blood or get a special extra big syringe that is hard to use.

Of course I don't need a needle at all as the PIC line is compatible with vacutainers as are many other items.

Reply to
invalid

Once Boris has sold it off to the Americans waiting lists will disappear. Along with most of the patients who won't be able to afford treatment.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But Turnip has just said admin is pointless? Surely he couldn't be wrong about this? Too?

Absolutely.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Oddly, the one and only MRI scan I've had was done by a private company. In Victoria. They only worked office hours.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes - my local one is the same.

I have a local bus that actually drives through the hospital grounds. But it tends to go round the houses, so if in a rush just stump up for the car park.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It is and it isn't.

Sometimes you need results NOW.

Not 2 days later, because your patient is DYING.

My GP does blood tests that go to a path lab

takes a couple of days.

But if you end up with say supscected cancer you may need blood tests that day.

Or for example you are about to be operated pn an you seem to be running a skight fever. Do they takee the risk?

Long way to go for an X ray tho

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That doesnt sound like the system I get - its a catheter in the vein then syringes that suck into the tubes...at the surgery and at the hospitals

I have no idea if my local 'vampire' has special training but she is NOT a nurse, and is very efficient.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

yes. Parking would have been WAY easier.

No.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No I'm not. Neither would I see any real benefit in vainly adopting a superior attitude, if it was I myself who appeared to have lost sight forget what was actually being discussed.

The proposal under consideration if you remember, was whether operating all this "very expensive equipment which is sitting around gathering dust for

128 out of 168 hours per week" is a realistic proposition.

Now even allowing for the possibility that as you say that the number of non-medical staff in path labs and radiology dept far exceeds the number of medically qualified ones, the fact remains that all such results will result in clinical decisions of one kind or another having to be made by suitably qualified doctors at some stage,.

Which in essence might mean producing test results 24/7 which would then be acted on by suitably qualified doctors working 7 or 8 hour days.

My "original point" in case you'd forgotten is that there are at present insufficient qualified doctors to staff the NHS on a 7/8 hour day basis as it is. While the length of medical training when combined with numbers retiring means that this isn't a problem which can simply be solved, by throwing money at it.

Without an adequate number of suitably qualified doctors to process these test results, all that running the equipment 24/7 would achieve, would be to create short term bottlenecks and an ever growing backlog.

michael adams

michael adams

Fairly regularly, with my 'help the community' hat on, I drive people to our local hospital. I have a pass that allows me to use a Blue Badge space

- but there are never any free.

Reply to
charles

our village "Medical Centre" has a room for a Phlebotomist. I've never been in it.

Reply to
charles

This vacuum syringe system is much less 'uncomfortable' for those of us who have blood samples taken!

Reply to
mechanic

X-ray and scans are examined by trained radiographers who also the scans. Doctors get a report, few doctors are trained in radiology so don't make use of the images.

Its minor errors like this that make it doubtful that some of those claiming to know how the NHS operates have ever been near a functioning hospital.

The radiographers can check the scans as they are done to see if they are likely to show what is being looked for. They can even rush things if they spot something bad. Its because they are highly trained in diagnostics and not just machine operating monkeys like andrew wants us to believe for some political reason.

Reply to
invalid

I once took my M-I-L to visit my wife and newborn son in the maternity unit. Even with a blue badge it took 45 minutes before we could get a space. These days the charges have been dropped, but we find that we can always park without problem. I can only think that the staff were clogging up the car park, because it was cheaper than the fees for the staff car-park - although later we had a free pass for the staff car park, as our son attended a nursery based in a building within the car park! Very useful when my M-I-L was in the elderly ward for 9 weeks.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I've managed to park with no problem for many visits at the car-parks at MRI, Manchester Eye Hospital and the Dental Hospital. The main problem these days is finding where the car park entrances are when various roads have been closed off.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

When my wife was working for the NHS, she was being paid on the wrong grade and when her department was being closed and she was being moved to another department, they were trying to force her to continue on the wrong grade.

We got the union involved - and genuinely, the rep was a black lesbian with attitude! She actually looked like Grace Jones.

Unfortunately, she was useless. She got on far too well with management and pushed for my wife go with the lower grade or end up without a job. I insisted otherwise, we got a solicitor to write a letter and "miraculously", they backed down and gave her the grade that she was entitled to.

On another occassion, my wife became ill while on maternity leave and had to have extra time off. I had to advise the same union rep on what the law was on annual leave and illness (the ECJ had ruled on it due to an HMRC case and the result applied immediately to the NHS, as a government organisation, but not to private companies without ratification in the House of Lords.)

When my wife was working on the chest unit and later the psychiatric wards, the unions always agreed a minimum staffing level during action. My wife once came out at lunchtime to talk to the pickets, was asked to hold a placard for a moment and ended up on the the front page of the Telegraph! Her mother (a midwife) was mortified!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker