Hospitals

In message snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk>, "Dave Plowman (News)" snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> writes

Interesting. Last time I attended for several days in succession was

10+ years ago, so probably not a fair comparison. This time, eight days in a row, no problem parking on any of those days from Sunday to Sunday. Usually arrived 11am or thereabouts. Other times may be more busy? Evenings, perhaps?
Reply to
Graeme

Were you stood behind me on Thursday?

Reply to
ARW

Or NHS management.

24/7 is a bit OTT. Would you like to be going for a test/scan WHY with an appointment time of 0400?

Having said that I can't see any valid reason for any company not to be working 7 days a week, with workers doing alternate 3 and 4 day weeks, with each day being 10 hours instead of the piddly short 8 hours (both inc lunch).

This weekend left home Friday morning at 0930, on site at Wigan 1300

- 2300, arrived at hotel 0000, left hotel 0800 grabbed some breakfast and coffee enroute to Burnley, onsite Burnley 0900 - 1800, arrived home 2230, left home 0830 for Newcastle, onsite Newcastle 1000 -

1900, arrived home 2030.

I guess the problem is that the average 9-5 M-F "worker" struggles to fill their 8 hours a day, judging by the fact that 25% of the time I call or email such a person they are "out of the office" and won't be back for three days. So effectively doubling the amount of time avialable for work wouldn't actually double productivity.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

But it will be almost non-existent after Brexit.

Reply to
mm0fmf

And the fees charged would be paying for that.

Reply to
AlexK

Our hospital has entirely free parking.

Ours don?t, this is the used car lot, on the right.

ZakJames

All the outpatient staff - the support services/aftercare arranged by appointment and doesn't need to be 24/7

Reply to
alan_m

In my mothers case the right hand has no idea what the left hand is doing. According to the admin staff at the local hospital my mother has been in a ward for the past 4 weeks - she has been at home with care workers coming in twice a day during this time.

The medical care has been good.

Reply to
alan_m

you would if it were important.

I find 6pm on Sunday quite good for cat scans.

of course it makes the claims that this stuff only runs 40 hours a week look silly.

the only CT scanner that isn't in constant use where I go is the one in A&E, the other four are.

Reply to
invalid

The most obvious reason is that it doesn't work very well at all for single parent working families.

And our cops do 12 hour shifts and that doesn't work very well when you want to contact the cop that showed up when you called them out.

And that wouldn't work very well if you were a single parent.

Reply to
AlexK

Our local hospital has free parking for up to 3 hours and as long as is needed if you talk to the staff and they register your number.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

They usually have a radiographer available 24/7 for emergencies (at least with hospitals with A&E). Other than that, they can wait for daytime during the week.

Probably a little longer, but not for routine scans - and rightly so.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

It's not just single parents, even a couple without children don't really want a work schedule that means that their days off are on different days ot that they can't spend evenings together.

Even a single person with no commitments still wants to go out with friends and shifts don't fit in with that at all.

Shifts are necessary, but they should be kept to the minimum and only used where 24/7 cover is a necessity.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

or even when the working day is 16 hours long and there are 7 working days each week. As it was when I was working shift at Televison Centre in the

1960s.
Reply to
charles

Generally, staff costs are the biggest cost, so employing enough staff fo use that equipment for the full 168 hours would be very expensive, and as you'd probably not make full use of the equipment at evenings/weekends when many people would not attend, a waste.

Conversely, I've had a routine MRI scan on a bank holiday. Presumably, they have to staff the scanner to some degree for emergencies, so use spare capacity to fulfill routine scans.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

One hospital local to me makes good use of the fact that they have x-ray and MRI for A&E use that has to be staffed 24/7 by offering routine scans at quiet times like Sundays and Bank Holidays- I've had both x-ray and MRI scans at such times. Makes parking viable too.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Might be true where you live but it isn't true in general. There isn't actually enough car parking of any kind in the vicinity of the hospitals I have had to visit regularly and at busy times of day the queue of cars trying to get into the hospital was blocking a main arterial road into Manchester. In the end they had to suspend the bus lane "temporarily".

Reply to
Martin Brown

One of the hospitals has a 15 minute free exit period. I think it is primarily to allow people to leave if they can't find a parking place. However, I did once manage to attend a clinic and leave just within the

15 minutes. Parking charges now tend to be a moot point since my partner got her blue badge.
Reply to
nightjar

When I was working shifts - yes.

I could have had a test at 0400 before starting work at 0615.

The usual NHS arrangement of patients turning up at 0830 and waiting for the staff to start at 1000 is inconvenient to everyone except NHS staff.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I had to cancel loads of appointments for mine as she was in the chiller.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog