Google Groups ending 22 Feb 2024

Yes, of course, I didn't say that. I use ssh from termux to my desktop machine which runs tin (and leafnode as a mini newsserver).

Reply to
Chris Green

Thanks - I think - if only for what would be something entirely different for me ;)

Reply to
Robin

Hmm... NNTP wasn't established until 1986. Something tells me you were accessing something else? Were you accessing a network, or was it BBS or did you had access to JANET or some other MOD network?

By 1985 some of us were using IBM XTs, but hey.

Reply to
Fredxx

Only millionaires, or those with company PCs. Can't have been many about then.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

Nice...

I think I know a lurker who'll make use of that post-GG.

Reply to
JNugent

You won't get better than news.individual.net (Freie Universität Berlin), for 10 Euros per annum.

Reply to
JNugent

I think I first accessed it about 35 years ago on an Amiga B2000 using a port of Tin.

Reply to
John Rumm

When I was at uni in 87/88 the computer labs were already full of clone XTs and a few genuine PC-ATs.

The Amstrad PC1512 came out in 86 for ~£400 - not that far removed from the price of a Amiga A500 or a Atari 520ST (even if vastly inferior to either :-) )

Reply to
John Rumm

So does HOH for all its problems... Just select the text you want quoted before you click in the reply box

Like this

Reply to
John Rumm

Even hoh allows quoting. Just highlight the text of the message before clicking in the reply box. It will then include the highlighted bit as a quote.

(tried a post via it to see how it comes out)

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes, I was at BT Martlesham from some time in the late 1980s and started discovering usenet and E-Mail back then. That's 33 years plus a bit but 38 does seem to be pushing it a bit! :-)

Reply to
Chris Green

Back when there was a proper Usenet archive, I found a post of mine from

1982. But whether NNTP was in use back then is another matter.

The initial NNTP RFC is dated 1986, but NNTP is based on what was used before that; see RFC 850.

Reply to
Bob Eager

So what. Usenet precedes TCP/IP by some years.

UUCP dear boy. Look it up.

The company dialled into I think the university of kent. Or maybe Holland.

Something tells me you were

I had a clone around that time. NEC V20 chipset. 20Mbyte hard drive. Good machine.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks Tim. Shared elsewhere.

Nick