Firefox groups

I have a subscription to news.supernews.com, which lets me view any of the (hundreds!) of their message groups (not sure if "message groups" is the correct name for them). I would like to take out a subscription to Firefox that would allow me similar access to their range of message groups. But I cannot see how to do it - and Firefox don't reply to questions, they only have that maddening list of supposedly standard questions & answers - which of course never answer the question you want to ask - and which in particular has no mention of their message groups. Grrrrh!

Anyone know how to go about it ?

Jim Hawkins

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

It isn't; they're called "newsgroups", or usenet.

What? Firefox is a browser.

Do you mean Mozilla groups? I read, for example, the mozilla support group for Firefox, but I do so by subscribing to a mail-list, not a newsgroup; see for example:

Messages other people post to that list are sent to me by email, and if I reply, my reply is sent to them by email. It's not a newsgroup.

What maddening list? Where are these standard questions?

If you have a subscription to a usenet server already, how are you subscribing to groups and posting questions? You should be using a piece of software known an a "nntp client", ie something that collects nntp (usenet) posts from the server and posts messages to the server for you.

Your question was created using MS Outlook Express, according to the headers inside your question. What I would expect is that somehow in OE you tell it which other newsgroups you want to subscribe to, then it starts collecting posts from those groups.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

There is a news server news.mozilla.org where they have such groups as mozilla.support.seamonkey etc

Reply to
F Murtz

I would tend to call them "news groups" on an entity called "Usenet"

Doesn't exist. Well not their newsgroups you can probably get access to their help forum.

Probably as Firefox can't access newsgroups.

Yes, that is annoying isn't it

Firefox is a browser ('made' by a 'company' called Mozilla). This company also 'makes' a "newsreader" called "Thunderbird". As well as this newsreader you will also need access to a "newsserver" I currently use the "Eternal September" one.

Looks like you already have a news server (the supernews thing) so first step would be downloading a "news reader" (there are lots to choose from:some Googling for the 'best' for you).

The specifics will vary according to your(TINY) newsreader and server.

Reply to
soup

Why Firefox ? do you need web access ?

I use Thunderbird for my usenet access (incl this group)

It would not be a Thunderbird issue though ... it would depend if your ISP carried that newsserver.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

I use Thunderbird for my email ... it is a great free email app, and it includes full newsreader capability (using it to read this)

Whether you can access any particular server will depend if you can get it from or through your ISP ... I use BT, and they see to carry all the newsgroups I want.

I just create an account .,, and point it at: news.btconnect.com on port 119

Reply to
Rick Hughes