At what point can you close the damper on a fireplace?

Hi there I am new to fireplaces. I have a heatolator insert fireplace, which is just great. If I close the damper (its either open fully or closed) it still seems to burn, just slowly, and no smoke enters the house. Am I supposed to close the damper before I go to bed, if there are just coals left? Or should I leave it open all night until its cold?

Thanks and sorry for the novice question!

Dean

Reply to
deanbrown3d

head yourself down to the library and learn how to use your stove properly. i assume you cant use a search engine properly either... maybe check that one out too while you are there.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

Aren't you worried about carbon monoxide?

wrote

Reply to
John B

don't be a shit head. if everyone followed your advice this form would not exhist.

Reply to
robson

I usually leave mine open all night and close it next morning. However....probably no harm in closing it if there are only a few coals left when you go to bed.

Reply to
Dennis Turner

randy - take your head out of your arse...

Reply to
deanbrown3d

I am concerned about CO, but I have several detectors around that would warn me.

Dean

Reply to
deanbrown3d

I guess he doesn't get it, that its easier to ask than to 'pop down to the local library and look it up'. Especially as its anonymous here so who cares if you ask a dumb question?

Jeez

Reply to
deanbrown3d

funny how many people chose to attack me for giving proper advice, yet offer nothing of their own on the subject.

let me spell it out for you.

you cannot learn enough to operate a fireplace safely in a couple paragraphs from short newsgroup answer to an incomplete question. looking at the replies so far, i think that should be obvious. you dont need to go anywhere. just use a search engine and search for fireplace safety. it should be clear from the question that this person needs to know a bit more about how a stove operates than simply should i close the damper at night.

its not a dumb question. never said it was. there are no dumb questions. just dumb comments about the answers...

randy

Reply to
xrongor

Well it was not your advice that I disliked, it was the way you put it. Sarcasm holds very low to me. I have been researching furnaces and chimneys for a long long time now on the web. I just had a question about the particular model I have of fireplace, since it appears to have a secondary path to the chimney, although I cannot see well enough to be sure. No point wasting good house air is there? I called the makers and evern they didn't know if I could close the damper! Hence my question on google.

Well, thanks all the same.

Dean

Reply to
deanbrown3d

I always leave mine open until the fire is completely out. Usually, from a practical standpoint, this means overnight, as by bed time, their are usually quite a bit of embers still burning. I don't understand your comment about the fireplace having another path up the flue besides the passage with the damper. I've never seen that in a home fireplace and it would be a big energy waste if it were built that way.

As for the CO issues, people have died in tents using charcoal grills. Given the air volumes, it would be harder to do this in a house, but why take a chance? Plus, fires that looked like they were out have been know to spring back to life hours later.

Reply to
trader4

you’re an ass hat for that response. ugh

Reply to
Mel in the city

Dean:.here i am googling the same question you must have 15 years ago. sad to see the responses of these ppl. I hope you found your answer 15 years ago as I am looking for mine now. can i close the flue when embers are burning? Guess it’s a classic :)) cheers

Reply to
Mel in the city

No, I would not close it when there are embers still burning. Burning embers means combustion gases, including CO are still being emitted. Probably not enough to kill you or make you sick, but why would you want to breathe that crap?

Reply to
trader_4

That's true. It all depends on the size of the combustion and the size of the rooms. A big house with one fireplace, open doors inside, etc is one thing. A fireplace with burning embers in a small closed off room is another. If you fell asleep there, you're right, it probably could kill you. I never closed the damper until the next day.

Reply to
trader_4

On Thu, 28 Jan 2021 14:21:18 -0800, Bob F posted for all of us to digest...

I have also found that to be true.

Reply to
Tekkie©