Stop annoying message

Is there a way to stop this annoying message?

Effective February 22, 2024, Google Groups will no longer support new Usenet content. Posting and subscribing will be disallowed, and new content from Usenet peers will not appear. Viewing and searching of historical data will still be supported as it is done today.

Thanks.

Reply to
AK

Yes, get a real news reader like Thunderbird or Agent and a Blocknews account. I never see it. Another advantage, Thunderbird has a kill file.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Sure. Where do you see it? Don't go there.

Get a real newsreader, a news account for little or not money, and read the news directly. Don't use Google Groups for new content since it will no longer have any.

Reply to
micky

I installed Thunderbird.

I can not figure out how to use Google Groups.

Andy

Reply to
AK

I find that eternal-september does a better job of filtering/blocking spam and other undesirable content . And it's free ...

Reply to
Snag

That's because GG is not designed to work with real news readers/email clients . You need an account with a real news server - as you've been told many times recently . If you're too stupid to figure this out maybe you don't need to be participating .

Reply to
Snag

I used to use it but it went downto often. Maybe it is better now?

Reply to
Ed P

Sign up with eternal september. It is free. You could subscribe to one of the paid groups but personally Usenet is dying and to me not worth it.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

It is working. I also used aioe but it has been down.

There is a place to check status:

invalid unparseable

That is what I use

With free Microplanet Gravity for the reader.

Ralph Mowery

Yep, Stop using google groups.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

It's been pretty reliable for the last few years . I originally got a blocknews account for those times e-s went down - that was like 10 years ago . I've used like .1% of the initial block I bought .

Reply to
Snag

I forgot to mention.

I am using Linux Ubuntu-Mate.

Andy

Reply to
AK

I weep for you.

You can get a "renewed" Windows computer system for a few hundred dollars. There is no excuse for depriving yourself.

Example:

$271.25(computer + keyboard + 24" monitor)

Dell Optiplex 9020 Small Desktop Computer (SFF) | Quad Core Intel i7 (3.40GHz) | 32GB DDR3 RAM | 1TB SSD Solid State | WiFi + Bluetooth | Windows 10 Pro (Renewed)

invalid unparseable

Don't even think about using google groups. It is going away, as you are being informed.

Sign up with Eternal-September or any other usenet server, and follow their setup instructions. Then, you will wonder why you put up with google groups so long.

Reply to
Bob F

Works quite well for me. I've been using ES at least 15 years. It's not down much in my experience.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Here's the link to Eternal September people are mentioning.

Dean

I'm happy with Pan on Ubuntu but I'm not using Mate.

Reply to
rbowman

32GB of RAM? That will be a smoking machine when you wipe the drive and install Debian.
Reply to
rbowman

xananews is free with no nagware and has linux support (works with linux). Very simple setup, unlike many others. Has just about everything thunderbird does but a whole lot simpler to use.

Reply to
cshenk