How to block certain posters?

I used to know how to do this on another system, but can't find how here. Help appreciated.

Reply to
Higgs Boson

That would depend on what newreader you're using.

I'm using slrn so I add lines to the ~/News/Score file:

Score: =-9999 From:.*gardenbanter\.co\.uk

Assigns a score of -9999 to any poster that ends in gardenbanter.co.uk

A score of -9999 gets deleted before I see it.

Steven

Reply to
Steven Wayne

Exercise your backbone.

Reply to
brooklyn1

Newswatcher filter doesn't filter Thread view:  Tree View List View (postings sorted by date) Single Message View

Enable EMail Alerts  Start New Thread

Thread rating:

Mike - 02 Dec 2009 07:36 GMT I'm using MT-NewsWatcher 3.5.3b2 on 10.6.2, 07 Mac Pro, and trying to kill all google groups messages.

No matter what method I use to construct a filter based on organization:

those messages remain.

Filters using the following fail: "kill if organization contains" groups.google.com "kill if organization contains"

"kill if organization is"
"kill if organization matches the regular expression"
've used "kill if " "starts with" and "ends with" parts of
have also used all the menu based methods to create them, created them for individual groups and with wildcards.

I have repeatedly deleted and recreated these filters, even deleting the Newswatcher filter prefs file from home/library. I've not deleted the Newswatcher prefs file since I can't see how it would apply, and its a hassle to set up Newswatcher from scratch - not major but still a hassle.

Personally I suspect the CIA is involved. I've not tried with my tinfoil hat on. Reply to this Message Cat - 02 Dec 2009 08:16 GMT

[quoted text clipped - 22 lines]

Have you tried MT-NewsWatcher 3.5.3b3? And in the advanced tab is the filter maybe disabled?

Good luck, SK. Reply to this Message dorayme - 02 Dec 2009 09:03 GMT

[quoted text clipped - 22 lines]

Though I use 3.5.2 on Tiger, I use

"kill if organization contains"

sensitive box left unticked

and

"Score Normal" 0

and I used it for the most ignorant and stupid group I ever visited, naturally making myself hugely unpopular, alt.philosophy.

To let a few worthy ones from google in, I would make an extra filter...

Signature

[quoted text clipped - 11 lines]

possible that you are unable to score on those headers because your news server does not allow scoring on headers outside of XOVER.

IIRC, cox only allows scoring on the mandatory XOVER headers alone. Which would make it a server issue, not a client issue.

But if KF'ing google groups messages is all you want to do, you will find that:

"kill if Message-ID contains googlegroups" will work very effectively (Message-ID is an XOVER header so it will work with the cox servers).

HTH

Signature

[quoted text clipped - 10 lines]

Thanks Mike Dee for the info - your solution worked. And thanks for "reminding" me that one should not become so focused on a single solution that all others are obscured. I was obsessed with making my method work. It's always useful to take a breath and step back.

Thanks also to Cat and dorayme for their suggestions. Reply to this Message Mike Dee - 03 Dec 2009 10:01 GMT

[quoted text clipped - 20 lines]

YW, Mike. I'm glad that it worked for you.

Now that you've gotten the GG posts blocked you may like to eliminate seeing follow-up posts made to them too. For that, set your KF on the "References" header, as in:

"kill if References contains googlegroups"

Of course you may not want to do this, not all follow-up posts to GG'rs (nor all GG posts) are bad.

Simon Fraser has an interesting page on "speeding up" MT-NW.

It doesn't mention scoring or KFs, but the reasons given about tweaking MT-NW are directly related to why some headers are more efficient to use, i.e; any XOVER header is generally the fastest.

In it, Simon Fraser mentions "Nearly all servers support XPAT" (headers outside of XOVER) - I don't think cox is one of them and is possibly why your scores weren't working (I could be wrong about cox here - only going by shaky memory of what I've heard from others).

Some further info's:

Signature

[quoted text clipped - 31 lines]

I can just imagine someone doing this, then a week later wondering why there's no one talking in any of his favorite groups.

The fact is, a _lot_ of traffic, good & bad, comes from the Gooooogle groups site. Reply to this Message Dave Balderstone - 03 Dec 2009 20:56 GMT

A _lot_ of bad traffic, and _very little_ good traffic. I decided l>> The fact is, a _lot_ of traffic, good & bad, comes from the Gooooogle >> groups

[quoted text clipped - 3 lines]

It depends on what groups you read. I read and post a lot more in the Apple II groups, where we get maybe 2-3 spam threads a month. 99% of the discussion (ie, posts) are on-topic and I've noticed that the _majority_ of posters use Goooogle Groups.

Now of course, this doesn't hold true for every newsgroup, but I'm just show> >

[quoted text clipped - 39 lines]

Google Groups is broken and promotes ignorant behavior.

Signature

LOL! The good/bad ratio is extremely favorable to the bad side.

Signature

My main concern is the !$@&^% spam coming from google groups.

Some morons post from there, but in my several decades of life I've learned that morons are a particularly resilient species. They thrive everywhere. Usenet morons are best dealt with by KFing on Author - no matter the origin of the post.

It's worth losing a few useful posts to get rid of the spam.

[quoted text clipped - 12 lines]

I'll preserve this info and peruse it as I have time.

Thanks Reply to this Message dorayme - 04 Dec 2009 01:08 GMT

I don't kf GG (except I did for one usenet group, but that was because of the particularly ignorant flood of "genuine" posts) and I get almost no spam. I get almost none, for example, (not counting Nick's posts ) from this group and I have done very little that is special.

Signature

[quoted text clipped - 4 lines]

If you had a decent news provider, spam wouldn't even be a problem to filter out to begin with. I see you're using cox.net. You may want to look into a better news provider, such as the one I and many others here use, individual.net. With individual.net spam is extremely rare here! Their service is dirt cheap and one of the best in the business, IMO.

Signature

I'll check that one out. Usenet is included in our basic service but it looks increasingly like I'll have to dump cox.net, for news at least. Otherwise its the best broadband around these parts.

That's faint praise since our broadband alternatives are dsl- wildly variable around town or AT&T broadband - I refuse to go there because their wireless phone service, to be kind, was "problematic". Reply to this Message

Find more on: filter google groups

©2010 Advenet LLC   Privacy Policy - Terms of Use This website includes both content owned or contr

Reply to
Bill who putters

From OP header:

If you are using Googlegroups in a Web browser, I'm not sure it's possible. I think you must use a "real" NNTP newsreader to get any sort of filtering capabilities but I'm not certain. Guess that really pins it down, eh?

Reply to
Balvenieman

You're probably right. For years, I used Agent, a powerful and elegant email client-cum-newsreader, but a while back they got out of the newsreader biz. Too bad. It was so easy to plonk undesirables. Sigh!

Reply to
Higgs Boson

I'm using agent to read you. I'm pretty sure it's still out there.

Reply to
kate

Yes, Forte Agent is now in v6. Forte FreeAgent was "retired" after v4. After a cursory look, I could not find a working download site for any version of FreeAgent but surely there are a few around.

Reply to
Balvenieman